Please help me with laggy skipping ghosting recordings

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been running this 6 camera system for about 6 months now. First 4 months I had no issues. I have not changed a thing. I have laggy video like it keeps pausing, ghosting, & disappearing in & out. Even sometimes I come home & go straight into my office where the BI cpu & monitor is on I see myself on the screen live like walking up to the house & coming in the front door but I'm already in the house or I'm sitting in front of the monitor & hear the front door opening but her car hasn't even yet showed up in the driveway but shes at the door opening it. Huge delay.

I am running an Optiplex 7040
Intel i7-6700, 3.40Ghz, 16Gb ram, Windows 10 Pro ver. 1703, 64 bit
500Gb operating system drive & 4Tb WD Purple footage drive
HD hardware acceleration Yes (H.264)
Direct to disc
20 fps in the cameras
6 cameras IPC-HDW5231R-Z
Here are some screenshots of my current settings:
Screenshot (3).png Screenshot (5).png Screenshot (6).png Screenshot (7).png Screenshot (8).png Screenshot (10).png Screenshot (11).png Screenshot (12).png Screenshot (13).png Screenshot (14).png Screenshot (15).png Screenshot (16).png Screenshot (17).png Screenshot (18).png

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ball Sac Are you running the latest BI? there were significant improvements in the last few updates to eliminate ghosting...are you sure EACH camera is set to direct to disk? something is VERY wrong here. With that processor and six 1080p cameras has you have, your cpu usage should be in the single digits or so...ensure blue iris is exuded from antivirus, both program and storage folders.
Side note, you can change the camera colors so that each cam appears independently on the timeline

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman, yes latest BI & each camera is D2D.
I will make that change on the camera colors thanks

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
fenderman, rebooting the switch & router seems to have taken care of the issue. Thank you very much! How often do you recommend to do that to prevent this from happening again? Also my CPU seems to be right around 30% much lower than before the reboot. Screenshot (35).png Screenshot (34).png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Ball Sac what model switch? are the camera feeds passing through the router or is the BI pc hooked up to the same switch?
30 percent is still way too high for your load...are you remoting in to the system or viewing on a local monitor?

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ fenderman Switch model ProSAFE JGS516PE
Camera PC is plugged into the router & all cameras into the switch
Always have the local monitor on in the office
I do remote in at the dining room table from a laptop in the evenings last few hours of the night to keep an eye on the front door
So since I rebooted everything Sunday when u recommended all seemed to be working smooth. Since then I noticed yesterday morning when I woke up my cameras were about 2 minutes off sync (slower) than the PC. I restarted all the cams & the times matched again. I just got home & noticed the cameras 2 minutes slower again than my PC time. Viewing todays clips I have the same problem again with the pausing, images disappearing, & camera recordings time skipping 5-10 seconds of a recording. So I restarted all the cams individually & time on cams & PC are same again. I am still working with my antivirus manufacturer (Webroot) to do as you told me: ensure BI is excluded from antivirus both the program & the storage folders. They do not have options to go in there and allow but told me to turn antivirus off, duplicate my problem, & run some logs then they will review the logs to make any necessary changes to my antivirus for the BI program. At least that's how I understood it but it will be a learning curve for me never got that deep into antivirus. I am going to turn it off right now & see if that's whats causing any of these headaches with the laggy video or the times not staying synced. Any direction would be extremely appreciated.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@ fenderman Switch model ProSAFE JGS516PE
Camera PC is plugged into the router & all cameras into the switch
Always have the local monitor on in the office
I do remote in at the dining room table from a laptop in the evenings last few hours of the night to keep an eye on the front door
So since I rebooted everything Sunday when u recommended all seemed to be working smooth. Since then I noticed yesterday morning when I woke up my cameras were about 2 minutes off sync (slower) than the PC. I restarted all the cams & the times matched again. I just got home & noticed the cameras 2 minutes slower again than my PC time. Viewing todays clips I have the same problem again with the pausing, images disappearing, & camera recordings time skipping 5-10 seconds of a recording. So I restarted all the cams individually & time on cams & PC are same again. I am still working with my antivirus manufacturer (Webroot) to do as you told me: ensure BI is excluded from antivirus both the program & the storage folders. They do not have options to go in there and allow but told me to turn antivirus off, duplicate my problem, & run some logs then they will review the logs to make any necessary changes to my antivirus for the BI program. At least that's how I understood it but it will be a learning curve for me never got that deep into antivirus. I am going to turn it off right now & see if that's whats causing any of these headaches with the laggy video or the times not staying synced. Any direction would be extremely appreciated.
if webroot wont let you exclude use norton or windows defender....since BI should run on a dedicated machine, you dont really need anything more than that...i would not trust webroot to make the proper changes...you want to exclude the BI program and all your storage folders.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Copy that! I will remove webroot from that PC & run only windows defender on it. I will then make the changes to exclude the BI program & all storage folders. I will run it for a few days like that & report back. Thanks for all the help!

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does it matter if my BI pc is plugged into the router or should it be plugged into the switch with the rest of the cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Does it matter if my BI pc is plugged into the router or should it be plugged into the switch with the rest of the cameras?
if you can it should be plugged into the switch, this way no data passes through the router unless you are remote viewing or viewing on a device connected to the router...

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I continue to experience the same issues even after getting rid of the Webroot antivirus, running only windows defender, & excluding the BI with its folders. Seems like everyday 2 of the 6 cameras will be running 2 minutes behind the pc's time & them are the cameras that are laggy & ghosting. After i reboot the cameras or the whole system it acts fine again untill later when some cameras start falling behind on their time. Its never the same cameras either. I seen the last few BI updates may be addressing the issue if indeed they are the same thing. I installed the time sync tool that was recommended by member Q in another post for someone who had a similar issue to mine. I will give this a try & see what happens. Couldn't find a clear answer & not related but should i be running BI as a service? Thanks

Eddie Current

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm still trying to learn my way around, but I was able to improve my motion blur issues by tweaking the Max. Bitrate (Kbps) and Frame Rate on each camera. Make sure the cameras setting and the the settings in BI are the same.

Ball Sac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Continue to experience the same laggy pausing & skipping on the recordings. The time on the cameras will pause briefly sometimes & sometimes just jump ahead a bunch of seconds. I am updated to the latest BI & running a dedicated machine. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this or tell me where to start? Appreciate any guidance.