Please recommend a Wi-Fi bridge for outdoor.

dodamn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have installed a IP camera outdoor. It is about 50 meters away from my home.
On the install point, there is a power line luckily. But there's not Ethernet line(UTP cable).
I don't want install UTP cables.
I want Wi-Fi bridge.

I have an AP in my home.

I can find cheap Wi-Fi bridges for INDOOR. Many products are below $10.
But I cannot find the one for OUTDOOR. Many products are above $50.
"For OUTDOOR" means weather proof.

Please recommend a cheap and good Wi-Fi bridge for outdoor.

Or... Is there a good way for changing indoor wifi bridge to outdoor?

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For that particular application, I always use Ubiquiti products, especially the Loco M5. You need one at the camera side (add a network switch for more cameras) and another at the dvr side. Both antennas should be on line-of-sight. You could end spending more than $150 for both antennas, but you'll be on the right track (there are some vendors offering preconfigure systems). Even Chinnese branded antennas will cost more than $50/each, but I had no experience with them.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
technically, both create a bridge between the two units. My major concern on using powerline adapters is basically on bandwidth limitation. I unsuccessfully tried the Netgear Powerline PL-1000 (1000Mbps) for transmitting hd signal within a property. Installed a couple of 300Mbps wifi antennas to solve the problem. You normally install powerline inside a house, sharing the same electrical phase within the breaker panel. If your house have a secondary or sub-panel, the communication will get lost. Electrical noise is another factor affecting the signal. Since the cameras will be installed remotely, is probably connected thru a secondary panel or distance could be an issue. I will definitely recommend the wifi antennas approach

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yup. Powerline stuff can be quirky and distance is limited. I prefer the UBNT solution as well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have installed a IP camera outdoor. It is about 50 meters away from my home.
On the install point, there is a power line luckily. But there's not Ethernet line(UTP cable).
I don't want install UTP cables.
I want Wi-Fi bridge.

I have an AP in my home.
I highly suggest running a wireless layer 2 transparent bridge between the two points using 2 Ubiquiti Nanostation Loco M5 radios. You would need good LOS (Line Of Sight) between the mounting points of the 2 prospective radio locations, 1 at house and other at remote camera location. Ubiquiti requires the use of STP in outdoor sections of cable as a condition of their warranty.

More help on the Layer 2 Transparent Bridge setup >> here <<==.

Here's one I installed a few months ago between a customer's house and barn:

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, I have been making cheap PVC vertical surface mounts for these UBNT radios. To mount vertically under an eave or from a horizontal surface, eliminate the 90 degree elbow and the 1-1/2" nipple.

UBNT_Vertical-Wall-Mount_med.jpg

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TonyR, very handy your PVC mount. I normally use the NanoBracket from RF Elements.

https://www.amazon.com/RF-Elements-NBU001-NANOBRACKET-UNIVERSAL/dp/B00CWYOQW0
Yes, @eggsan , those nanobrackets are great, I have installed several in the past and will likely have a need for those again. They work especially well on existing masts and towers. I recall buying 6 for about $7 apiece in 2014, ==>> here.

The homemade PVC bracket came about as a matter of necessity. I was doing an install about 50 miles from where my supply of nanobrackets were stored. When I got to the point to install the second radio and opened the box I discovered some pieces were missing. Having promised the client the bridge would be working that day I drove to the local hardware store, bought some PVC pipe, fittings, glue and spray paint (I had a hacksaw on the truck) and the rest is history. I've been making them ever since, tweaking here and there. I use the worm-gear stainless steel clamps, not the black, fat nylon wire ties to secure the radio to the PVC.

Hey, they work, they're cheap, sturdy and rustproof. Honestly, though...I install them only on residential jobs, I dissolved the LLC about 4 years ago and don't do any more commercial work anyway (none that I'll admit).:cool:

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yes, TonyR, Amazon is not necessarily the most cheapest site. I normally purchase thru Streakwave Wireless, is at $4.24, but you need a dealer account, reason why I posted the Amazon site. Your homemade bracket accomplish everything, an as you said, all parts are available at your local hardware store. Thanks again for your support and happy holidays. Edgar

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, TonyR, Amazon is not necessarily the most cheapest site. I normally purchase thru Streakwave Wireless, is at $4.24, but you need a dealer account, reason why I posted the Amazon site. Your homemade bracket accomplish everything, an as you said, all parts are available at your local hardware store. Thanks again for your support and happy holidays. Edgar
I understand, I use and post links to amazon because it's globally accessible (and generally the cheapest).
Ah, yes..Streakwave! Have bought quite a bit from them as well when my LLC was alive. I lived in San Jose (their base) and Santa Clara for 29 years.
Happy Holidays to you as well!