Please recommend equipment to buy for a single home

spy111000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newb on here and been reading post for over 3 hours on IP camera models (mostly Hikvision?). I currently have all Samsung branded analog cameras and a Samsung 8-cam NVR.
I really cant see much detail or ID a person...the resolution stinks. When I originally did the hardwire runs, I ran coax and cat5 and alarm 4-conductor to each drop. :)
Any rock solid recommendation for outside & inside cameras and a NVR? I'm not looking to drop a grand $$, I'm on a budget, but don't want to end up with in the same boat with junk or warranty issues all the time.
I rather do it right the first time, ie. I am asking the experts. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a newb on here and been reading post for over 3 hours on IP camera models (mostly Hikvision?). I currently have all Samsung branded analog cameras and a Samsung 8-cam NVR.
I really cant see much detail or ID a person...the resolution stinks. When I originally did the hardwire runs, I ran coax and cat5 and alarm 4-conductor to each drop. :)
Any rock solid recommendation for outside & inside cameras and a NVR? I'm not looking to drop a grand $$, I'm on a budget, but don't want to end up with in the same boat with junk or warranty issues all the time.
What is your budget? how many cameras? how many indoor how many outdoor?
If you plan to use IP cameras you will have to run ethernet..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You did say you ran cat5 to each drop so you should be golden.

For outdoor cams, Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I, DS-2CD2132F-IS, and DS-2CD2332-I are good options. They all offer similar image quality, with a handful of different features and styles. The 2132 is the most feature-packed, including microSD card support, but sometimes the dome cover causes infrared reflection issues when not installed perfectly. The 2332 with its IR illuminator separated from the lens a bit usually attracts fewer bugs. The 2032, being a bullet cam, is a bit easier to mount and re-aim, but otherwise doesn't really have any advantages besides price. The same cams will work indoors but indoors you can also choose Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW which has the added bonus of a speaker, microphone, and PIR sensor which is great to use for motion detection indoors. It will trigger fewer false alarms than traditional motion detection available in the other cameras. All the cameras can be powered by PoE, so get a good PoE switch with enough PoE ports to power all the cams you buy.

Anyway then you have your choice of how to do recording. My favorite option is to run Blue Iris but this requires a PC with a very powerful CPU. It works with practically any IP camera and doesn't care about what region the camera is from. You are probably more interested in a dedicated NVR box like your last one. If you go this route, be aware that most of the cheap Hikvision cameras are Chinese region and that you will also need a Chinese region Hikvision DVR to run them (as opposed to a USA region NVR). The sellers may not be forthcoming about the fact their items are Chinese region, so it can be tricky to get this right unless you buy everything from one seller. CCTV CAMERA CHINA over on aliexpress.com is a good one, or if you prefer to support a USA-based seller and receive usable warranty support, there are some options in the USA although they will cost more.

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/
http://wrightwoodsurveillance.com/
http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/257-Good-source-to-buy-IP-items-at

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Let us know what you end up doing for less than a grand.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on how many cams you want and whatever else your budget is acceptable. In my case, for example, I already had a PC that I left on 24/7, so the only equipment I needed was cams at $100-130/piece (hikvision 3mps) + network cable, but you already ran that.