POE, DOME, 4MP+ Suggestion

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey All. I am adding a few cameras to my home security system. Removing some wireless ones, putting in POE. Normally I would get Hikvision, but it has been a while since I have looked at other manufacturers. I was hoping to get some suggestions on some alternatives to Hikvision since I am sure some of the other manufacturers have improved their products? I have seen AnPVIZ, Amcrest, and Reolink (my experience with the Reolink Wireless hasn't been very impressive).

Requirements:
Works with Blue Iris (without a ton of configuration work)
4MP or higher
Dome (not bullet, smaller better)
IR
POE
2.8 MM Lens

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Domes are problematic outdoors. They suffer from ir reflections, dirt on the cover, and uv fading over time.

If you are expecting to ID someone, realize that a 2.8mm lens that person needs to be 10ft or closer to the camera.

Reolinks are just all around bad and not worth having, wireless or no.

The king of the hill at this time is the 5442 series of cams from Dahua in the turret form factor would fit your wants.

Study this: Cliff Notes

And this attachment.

Attachments

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
These will be indoors (in the Kitchen and living room).

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Domes are generally no a good idea for outside use. The dome attracts dust and dirt. The IR sources are usually inside the dome and cause reflections when the IR comes on. The domes plastic will yellow if it gets too much UV from the sun. Turrets are a much better solution.

Here's the current crop of 4 and 8MP from Dahua. The 5442 series, 4MP, are probably among the best right now and have a very good sensor size to resolution ratio. If there's enough ambient light at night, surprisingly little by the way, they can be forced into color at night and still have a high enough shutter speed, exposure of 1/60 or higher, to prevent blur an allow good identification.

Also be aware that with a 2.8mm lens the subject will need to be within 15 feet, or less, of the to get a good identification shot.

Compiled by wittaj

Review - 8MP 1/1.2" sensor full color camera

Dual Sensor 4K

5442 Reviews

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera