PoE doorbell camera?

2JZGTE

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a total noob at this, but during our house remodel I was able to run two Cat6 cables from each of my entry doors to my switch/modem/router room.

It's already been 8 months and I haven't used them yet and they're still dangling outside, so I'm looking for a PoE camera. I'd like the Ring Elite (Video Doorbell Elite), but at 500USD/650CAD, I'm hesitating (as in : looking elsewhere).

Are there any other options? It seems like everyone is going for Wifi for convenience (understandable).

Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely use the search feature to find the threads @fenderman was referring to. From having causally paid attention to them over the past few weeks, none of the options being discussed sound truly "fully baked" at this point (to me, anyway).

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Prefer wired doorbell over wireless solutions. Ring Elite and DoorBird are above $500. As an stand-alone installation, your cell phone(s) will become your only "ding-dong" devices. Both Ring and DoorBird offers additional wifi chimes, to be located around the house. I personally prefer the DoorBird for flexibility. At halve that price, consider the Dahua Villa, but not sure if a chime solution is available for stand-alone applications around the house. There are many Chinese doorstation above $100, but you may experience connection problems with the P2P servers and/or limited expansion (chimes, etc.)

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You may need wifi chimes extensions if your house does not include wired doorbell