PoE Extender - 2 Cameras on 1 Cable

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Just wanted to share the results of a recent purchase of the Dahua "PFT1300 PoE Extender" I had ordered on Amazon. There are a variety of brands besides Dahua, and the one I bought was $41, and looks like the same manufacturer.

I have a Dahua Z5 camera on a long line running outside along a fence, and pointing out to the nearby intersection. When I read about the PFT1300 on the LPR forum, I thought it would be worth a try. I had a spare Ubiquiti G3 camera, but because the power requirements on that camera are 24V passive, it didn't work with the existing Dahua Z5. So I swapped the G3 out an old Amcrest camera, and used the Amcrest camera to pair with the Z5 since both cameras need the PoE+ power. The unit works really well. The specs say the unit itself draws <=3W, and each camera can only draw 8 W max. My switch is a Ubiquiti 16 port 150W, and each port can be configured for either 24V passive or PoE+.

So if you wish to consider adding a camera, but don't want the hassle of running another line, or don't have a spare port, then these PoE extenders could be an option. A reviewer on Amazon had said one issue is when the cameras come online at the same time that that can cause problems in that the reviewer said he or she had to unplug one camera and replug to get the unit to work. In my case I haven't seen any issues yet.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have one of Andy's extenders that physically looks the same as PFT1300. It's on his amazon site here Amazon.com : Loryta PoE Extender Mini Passive 2 Port POE Switch, IEEE 802.3af/at POE Extender, POE Repeater, Ethernet Splitter, Powering 2 POE Devices (IP Camera) Over One Cat5/6 Cable . I got it directly from Andy because I don't like amazon, which is a different subject. I used it only as a mid-span extender on a temporary ~400 foot run which didn't otherwise work. It worked. I've run into the same problem mentioned in the amazon review in a slightly different way, with a camera whose IR emitter is shut off, plus an external IR emitter. Some of the cameras cycle the IR lights on a reboot, even if they're turned off. If the camera rebooted at night while the external IR emitter was running, as soon as the boot sequence lit up the internal IR lights the port overloaded and shut down.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

spammenotinoz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry really dumb question the specs say seem to imply to run 3 cameras you need to extenders, with 1 cam to each Extender. ie: The out port is not designed to have a camera attached, only the cam port, ie: designed as Ethernet extenders.
I am reading your post as you were able to connect to PoE cameras to a single PFT1300, am I reading this correctly?
If so I agree these can come in very handy, as I would like to an an LPR cam without the $300+ cabling expense. Wiring was installed when the house was built, going to be really difficult to get another wire in, and this may solve my problem.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the one unit allows splitting the PoE power for two cameras. After having installed it last year in September it has been flawless. The unit itself is outside in the elements, although the ports are facing the bottom to prevent rain from quickly corroding the pins.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This unit will work perfectly for that. Many here have used it for adding an LPR camera next to an overview. You can even daisy chain it with another adapter to get 3 cameras hooked to it.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
for more than 2 cams at the end, consider: Amazon.com: OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (Power-in) to IEEE802.3af (Power-Out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power: Industrial & Scientific
can power up to 4 PoE devices, up to 25w total power, which may or may not be adequate, depending on the cams...

and for powering 12vdc device (like external IR), these work well: (i've noticed they not only split off the 12v, but also pass thru the PoE. ie, can power 2 PoE cams PLUS the 12Vdc. This actually caused a problem on one of my cams that had a shorted out PoE input, so don't use it for that)

runraid

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’ve been using this because it’s outdoor rated with an ip55 rating. 5 port (1 in, 4 out) ubiquity usw-flex. Zero issues and it’s outside in the rain and cold.

pros: looks nice. Ip55 rating. We’ll know company. Works as expected. Excellent build quality.

cons: the price. Some slight config to set it up.

Wombat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how does this one compare? The 2 port switch.

icpilot

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
how does this one compare? The 2 port switch.
I know it's been some time since your question, but seeing no reply I thought I'd offer my experience.

I recently ordered several POE Extenders and Splitters to use for an outbuilding where I've currently got a couple of cables run, but want at least one more camera on each cable. These are the choices I identified:

* Loryta POE Extender PFT-1300 - Amazon.com : Loryta PoE Extender Mini Passive 2 Port POE Switch, IEEE 802.3af/at POE Extender, POE Repeater, Ethernet Splitter, Powering 2 POE Devices (IP Camera) Over One Cat5/6 Cable PFT1300 : Electronics

* Ipcampower POE Splitter/Combiner -

* 1 to 4 POE Extender - Amazon.com: POE Extender RJ45 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (Power-in) to IEEE802.3af (Power-Out) for Ethernet/PoE Power AP, IP Camera, IP Telephone and Other Network equipments : Electronics

* Amcrest 4-port switch AMPS4E4P-AT-60 - Amazon.com: Amcrest 4-Port POE+ Power Over Ethernet POE Switch with Metal Housing, 4-Ports POE+ 802.3af/at 60W (AMPS4E4P-AT-60) : Electronics

* Anvision Splitter/12V Adapter - Amazon.com: ANVISION 2-Pack Active 48V to 12V Waterproof PoE Splitter Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant 10/100Mbps, for IP Camera AP Voip Phone and More, White : Electronics

Note: The Loryta POE Extender is the same as Linovision Passive Port Extender - . There is a significant difference in price, however. The Loryta is pricing at $39.99 and the Linovision is pricing at $29.99.

Note 2: The Loryta/Linovision POE Extenders fit nicely into a Dahua PFA121 Junction Box - Amazon.com : Dahua PFA121 Water-Proof Junction Box for Bullet Camera : Electronics. If anyone is, like me, wondering what the internal mounting posts and screws are for, this POE Extender mounts up perfectly inside the box.

The Anvision splitter was purchased so I could add either a microphone or an illuminator, but not an additional camera. I have 3 of these installed and they have worked perfectly after several months of use. Tow of them are powering cameras and a microphone, one of them is powering camera plus an illuminator.

I benchtested the Loryta by connecting 2 cameras, one a Hikvision turret and the other a Dahua bullet camera, each rated at less than 8w. I first tried by simply connecting the Input on the Extender to a cable from my switch. The POE switch is a Netgear unmanaged POE+ switch. I was able to power on both cameras and gain access to their settings menus through a browser, but then one or the other started giving connection errors. If you look on the Linovision listing at Amazon, you will notice their diagram shows the Input to be 60w. I read through Loryta's documentation and they refer to connection to their other device the PFT1200, which supplies 60w to this Extender. To confirm, I later conducted the same bench test, but connected the POE Extender to a cable from a switch supplying 60w power. Both cameras behaved normally when connected to a 60w input source.

The Ipcampower Splitter/Combiner was next to be benchtested. Same pair of cameras, the Hik turret and Dahua bullet. This device requires two (2) ports on your switch, then combines into a single cable, then splits back into 2 connections for powering 2 devices. This product performed perfectly. Both cameras were fully addressable and seemed to have no problems running simultaneously.

The 1 to 4 POE Extender is sold under a variety of brand names. They all seem to have the same specification. You connect a single POE+ cable carrying 25w, and it splits that into the 4 ports running a maximum of 24w between the 4 ports. So in this case, where I connected only 2 cameras each drawing less than 8w, they performed perfectly. I did not try to add a 3rd camera with another 8w, but since that would be at the outer limit of the outbound power budget, I would be concerned about possible problems. My sense is so long as one stays within the outbound power budget, this should work well.

Finally, the Amcrest 4-port switch. This is obviously not an option unless power is available nearby. This particular switch has the ability to deliver 60w from a single port, or a total budget of 60w across the 4 ports. For my use in the outbuilding, this is what I will choose once I configure a weatherproof and secure junction box.

Costs:

The Loryta/Linovision POE Extender is $40/$30 depending on which you select.

The Ipcampower Splitter/Combiner is $20.

The 1 to 4 POE Extender is $39.

The Anvision Splitter/Adapter is $17 for a pack of 2, or $10 each.

The Amcrest switch is $40 less a $5 discount, for a total of $35.

At this point all the items are fully benchtested and/or in use. I can honestly say I recommend all of them, depending on application.

For those who want to install an extra illuminator or take advantage of the Audio connection in your camera by adding a microphone, the Anvision solution is simple and straightforward. You will likely need a simple 2-to-1 splitter - , and be sure to weatherproof the 12v connections if outdoors. Also, be cognizant of the power requirements of your illuminator. The small ones require 4 or 5w, but one of mine has a 20w requirement, so it needs separate power.

The Loryta/Linovision is a perfect complement to anyone using the PFA121 Mount and can supply the requisite 60w power on the Input cable. If you don't already have a 60w power source, this solution might end up being higher priced than the others.

I really like the Ipcampower Splitter/Combiner. It does take up 2 ports on your switch, so that is some consideration. Otherwise, it is a low-cost solution to adding another camera to an existing camera location using a single cable.

Similarly, the 1 to 4 POE Extender seems like a straight-forward solution for adding an additional camera or other accessories, while keeping within the outbound power budget limitations. If outdoors, it will need to be located or housed in a weatherproofed location.

I will be, or already am, using all these in various locations around my property. For the original need which started my search, I settled on the Amcrest 4-port switch since I can access power easily and all I need to do is weatherproof and secure the switch and incoming power.

Unfortunately I don't have enough time with these to offer any sense of their long-term durability.

I hope this helps.

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
do you guys recommend running two analog cameras on cat 5 using a 5amp power supply what are some of the downfalls? currently experiencing low quality fizzy picture only at night once infrared kicks in only happens on one camera on the line other camera is fine not sure what’s causing it i replaced everything except the cable itself …..help

Attachments

Magren

n3wb
Reaction score
How can i supply both camera and external Dahua microphone with power from the same PoE cable? I would need a PoE splitter to do 48V passthrough and a 12V split to power the mic. Any suggestions?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Dielectric grease works, I just installed this extender for my 4mp Active Deterrence TiOC camera to work in tandem with my 2mp Varifocal Starlight+ camera :)

Yes, the one unit allows splitting the PoE power for two cameras. After having installed it last year in September it has been flawless. The unit itself is outside in the elements, although the ports are facing the bottom to prevent rain from quickly corroding the pins.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I used to use and recommend but this but I have long since moved away from using these generic PoE extenders. The PFT1300 and the Intellinet PoE extenders are the only ones I can recommend. The generic PoE extenders will not protect your cameras from lightning, etc. Also, the 4 port generic PoE extenders tend to loose packets over time, and make your cameras go offline

for more than 2 cams at the end, consider: Amazon.com: OdiySurveil(TM) 4-Port 10/100M IEEE802.3at (Power-in) to IEEE802.3af (Power-Out) PoE Extender for Ethernet/PoE Power: Industrial & Scientific
can power up to 4 PoE devices, up to 25w total power, which may or may not be adequate, depending on the cams...

and for powering 12vdc device (like external IR), these work well: (i've noticed they not only split off the 12v, but also pass thru the PoE. ie, can power 2 PoE cams PLUS the 12Vdc. This actually caused a problem on one of my cams that had a shorted out PoE input, so don't use it for that)

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
How do PoE extenders behave when they are connected to a switch that is configured with a VLAN? Are these PoE extenders still able to pass traffic via the switch, or do these PoE extenders have to be VLAN-capable as well?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The extender basically acts as an additional port on the switch.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, would I have trouble routing traffic if this extender is connected to a port on the switch configured for VLAN?

The extender basically acts as an additional port on the switch.