PoE maximum length?

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a maximum length for a Poe camera before signal degrades?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
More power attenuation problem then signal transmission. 300' is MAX for POE without inserting another switch/router/extender.

POE-E101-Applications-1.gif

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
You can go longer with better wire. The rating is the maximum certified length.
That's not exactly true - the max data transmission before signal/data becomes unstable in a POE environment is 320 -330'...

If your just talking "theory" then you may be correct, I don't pull cables past that length without a switch, however standards are 32X is MAX distance for data in a POE environment.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bow to your personal experience as I've never actually tried it but had heard you could go a bit further.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I work in computer networks and when i was in LAN department many years ago, we never exceed 90 meter for the in wall cabling. Than you have some meters in the patch room to the switchport and also to use user desk so stay below 100 meters.
It has off course to do with attunuation, so better cables will work over longer distance indeed. But in installs we have let done it is never exceeded. In general you get measurement reports of all the cables including lenght.

For POE you also have loss in voltage over long cables, but that would perhaps still be in the threshold of the specifications. I would take care if you have a device that is near the power limit of the class if falls in on a 100 meter cable. You can loose some 4.4 watt according to that wiki page.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think thicker copper wire (lower AWG number) will help. Theoretically it must, that was my logic! But this was one of those broken watch occasions, where I was right through a bit of theoretical logic and blind luck!

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just to add mud to the water, keep in mind that longer lengths - especially non-shielded/non-grounded runs - will also pick up transient voltages through induction. The big one is lightning. Even if the bolt never hits the ground, a long, ungrounded run can pick up enough voltage through induction that it can fry your switch/end-points.

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
we've got a few 150+Meters and they are quite stable, these are behind good HP Managed switch's though...

born2ride

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been thinking about a 1000ft run for one camera , Was looking into long range access point or some sort of repeater. Maybe even wired and wifi togther

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @born2ride I don't believe any cable will allow for this - power will be lost and data will be beyond unstable - especially video. Your best bet would be a Point to Point wireless system assuming this 1,000 foot run is outdoors. If its internal you just need to add switches or extenders along the way. Outdoors though a 5GHz point to point will easily handle it with minimal lag.

Example below - this is a beast and what a lot of point to point internet providers use in farming communities as it has a 3-4mile range.
http://www.wlanparts.com/ez-bridge/ez-bridge-ezbr-ultra5-5ghz-100mbps-250mw-wireless-bridge/

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I believe Razor says he has run many at 500 ft without issue. Id suggest high quality cable is a large part of any battle of maximizing POE loss at distance.

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey @born2ride I don't believe any cable will allow for this - power will be lost and data will be beyond unstable - especially video. Your best bet would be a Point to Point wireless system assuming this 1,000 foot run is outdoors. If its internal you just need to add switches or extenders along the way. Outdoors though a 5GHz point to point will easily handle it with minimal lag.

Example below - this is a beast and what a lot of point to point internet providers use in farming communities as it has a 3-4mile range.
http://www.wlanparts.com/ez-bridge/ez-bridge-ezbr-ultra5-5ghz-100mbps-250mw-wireless-bridge/
You'll find a ton of antenna options for long distance wifi on ebay. Even how to build them on youtube.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @born2ride I don't believe any cable will allow for this - power will be lost and data will be beyond unstable
FiberOptics is what you use at those distances, but then of course you need a parallel line for power, presuming you dont have power in your remote location already.... the fiber and equipment is usually not that much when your looking at the cost of trenching nearly a quarter mile.. if you look around used enterprise market you can find switches/routers with SPF ports for a song and dance.

but I agree with your conclusion, this is one of the rare cases where WiFi would be better.. as long as there is nothing super critical your cameras need to watch.. If you have very high valued goods in that remote building then dig the trench and lay the fiber. and as an added bonus fiber is immune to lightning.. unlike a P2P Wifi bridge with external antennas or long runs of copper.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a note, yes, I have more than a few 500 foot runs now and they are all working fine. I have had 500 foot runs going for over a year with no issues at all of any kind actually which surprised even me. I am running Hikvision bullets at the end of these long runs and I have at least 20-30 500 footers and one is close to 550. I once tried on my workbench two separate cables coupled together for a total length of 1000 feet and it would not work, the camera powered up and I could see it in SADP at times and even get logged into the camera but could never see video. I have never tried on a solid spool but I would say 1000 is too long. I am totally comfortable with 500 feet now and do not even worry about that.

I often use fiber too, for example I have locations that I have a switch connected over 600 feet of fiber, then cameras 400 feet and farther form that fiber connected switch so my total distance from my NVR is 1000 feet or more.

I also use Ubiquiti wireless, so I have a 450 foot wireless shot that then connects to a switch and then I have 8 3mp cameras on that and one of those cameras is where my 550 foot run is. I have wireless with as many as 14 cameras connected and then wirelessly coming back to the NVR and the Ubiquiti equipment is cheap and rock solid. Cannot believe how well it works for such inexpensive equipment.

I do the long runs when I have to, as in I really have no choice because of lack of power and or no place to put a switch. All of my cameras are outdoor and in most cases I am retrofitting an existing location so my options are more limited. I greatly prefer proper planning during the construction phase so I don't have to worry as much but in the end the solutions I am using at the distances I need are working fine so I'm not too concerned about the longer runs now.

riggz

n3wb
Reaction score
As a note, yes, I have more than a few 500 foot runs now and they are all working fine. I have had 500 foot runs going for over a year with no issues at all of any kind actually which surprised even me. I am running Hikvision bullets at the end of these long runs and I have at least 20-30 500 footers and one is close to 550. I once tried on my workbench two separate cables coupled together for a total length of 1000 feet and it would not work, the camera powered up and I could see it in SADP at times and even get logged into the camera but could never see video. I have never tried on a solid spool but I would say 1000 is too long. I am totally comfortable with 500 feet now and do not even worry about that.

I often use fiber too, for example I have locations that I have a switch connected over 600 feet of fiber, then cameras 400 feet and farther form that fiber connected switch so my total distance from my NVR is 1000 feet or more.

I also use Ubiquiti wireless, so I have a 450 foot wireless shot that then connects to a switch and then I have 8 3mp cameras on that and one of those cameras is where my 550 foot run is. I have wireless with as many as 14 cameras connected and then wirelessly coming back to the NVR and the Ubiquiti equipment is cheap and rock solid. Cannot believe how well it works for such inexpensive equipment.

I do the long runs when I have to, as in I really have no choice because of lack of power and or no place to put a switch. All of my cameras are outdoor and in most cases I am retrofitting an existing location so my options are more limited. I greatly prefer proper planning during the construction phase so I don't have to worry as much but in the end the solutions I am using at the distances I need are working fine so I'm not too concerned about the longer runs now.
Ha! I've always thought about taking a fresh 1000' box of CAT6, terminating both ends and testing it.

I love Ubiquiti! What Ubiquiti equipment are you using with 14 cameras and how much throughput are you getting? I would guess with 3mp cameras at full resolution and 15fps would yield about 100mbps no?