POE Microphone / Amplifier / Speaker -- outdoor, IP66, vandal.... ?

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
Many IP cameras have audio input/output capability. Some have microphones, some just have a microphone input, and an audio output.

All of them seem to say "Merely plug in an external microphone/amplifier/speaker....."

Yeah, well, where are these external amplifier/speaker options?

And since we're using POE for the camera, the external amplifier ain't gonna work unless it is POE too because no other power is available at the camera.

And since we only have the one network cable, for the camera, then the amplifier needs POE passthrough so it can share that one network cable with the camera.

And if the camera is being used outdoors, then we also need an external microphone, amplifier, and speaker with outdoor ratings, to work down to -40 F/C or have an internal heater.

Maybe also waterproofing / strong spray / IP66 ratings.

Maybe also IK10 vandal resistance.

It's almost as if the IP camera manufacturers haven't really thought all this through, and audio options are thrown in as a sort of afterthought and marketing sales pitch, but without any real attempt to really implement it or offer serious options to make use of it.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Do I detect a market opportunity? hmm... :)

current sitution possibly due to the varying laws & regulations regarding audio recordings taken without consent,
which doesn't seem to be as big a problem for video (with no sound)...

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
As an end-user without manufacturing or engineering skills and capabilities, I don't see myself in a position to do anything to make this happen. All I can do is say, "Someone please make this product" and I'll buy it.

Also I just announced this on a world-wide globally accessible forum so don't bother trying to patent this. :p

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got several powered microphones in deployment without trouble, whats the complaint? All you need is appropriate mounting structure if your wanting to use them.. which I am fond of using simply to avoid putting big giant holes for the cable ends.

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10299-How-To-Audio-Inputs

If you dont want to deal with all that, well I suppose then you want a camera with built in audio.. but ive never seen one work as well as my external audio does.. it also gives the ability to remotely locate the mic or position it for best pickup

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that second one is basically a VoIP Megaphone, thats why its so expensive.. both of those are industrial products not intended for consumer use.

audio can also feel like its tacked on because in many jurisdictions audio recording is more restrictive than video recording.. if audio recording didnt have additional legal restrictions I suspect it would have better support.. but in many places you cant even have the capability, so a camera with a built in microphone is not even legal since it could be used.