PoE NVR

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry for any mistakes, I am not an English native speaker.
I am in the stage of planning my house surveillance system; I am researching the Dahua NVR 4416 16P 4K and 14 2MP cameras; I wonder if a NVR with PoE really have strong advantages over non PoE NVRs different than price. Here in Colombia the price difference is 150-200 USD. My questions about a non-PoE NVR are:

-Do I have the same access to individual camera settings than the PoE version?
-Setup is more complicated or unstable because the additional PoE Switch?
-Does this setup have any limitations in remote viewing?
-Can I use any Brand for the Switch or its better to be the same NVR Brand?
-Can an electric event in the cameras hit the NVR or it only blow the switch?
-With the projected setup, (14 Cameras 2MP) how long can I record in 4 TB at full HD?
-Can NVR record audio via the cameras (16 Channels??) or it has to be via the audio input?
-What is the maximum distance for a PoE connection between the camera and the switch?
-Is IP66 standard safe for outdoor installation in very rainy locations?

Thanks in advance for your support!!!
:cool:

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi German-

Your english is great, no worries!

To answer your questions:

- Yes you do
- Setup isn't any more complicated either way
- No it doesn't, remote viewing is done by the NVR not the cameras
- Yes you can use any brand PoE switch, I reccomend HP for quality and reliability, as their switches have lifetime warranties.
- An electrical event can fry anything that is connected to the network, if you live in an area where lightning is an issue, use proper lightning protection on the network.
- Are you recording motion or 24x7?
- Yes most NVRs can record audio if enabled.
- 100 meters
- Yes it is. Just try and protect the cameras as best as you can. Domes over bullets are preferred.

corkangel76

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with 4TB you will get about 6 days of recording 24x7 at 30fps at 2MP... If you change to 1080p you will get approximately 12 days of recording on 4TB