POE or Analog

Reaction score
Before I say anything, my own server is not an option, dvr or nvr is the question.

I have an 8ch NVR “wireless pppoe” and an 8ch DVR analog.

I use the NVR on the house and DVR for garage.

im tired of the wireless cameras always losing connection, we dropped cable and use sling so everyone uses WiFi, I try to plead for them to use 5G (wireless uses 2.4) and even assign them to it, but it’s a wasted effort,and I’m assuming bandwidth is a probable problem, but nonetheless I’m over it.

having said, seeing how I can’t justify to the wife on spending a pretty penny on another system, I’m torn if I want to take current dvr, put it on house and get a couple good addons and get another cheap dvr to use for garage or get a poe for the house. I honestly am having a hard time sacrificing the ptz, detergent light and sound options. But with money playing a factor I am handcuffed

to clarify, neither current system is special or top of the line, nvr has 8ch being used, 4 paired cams, 4 addons (2 ptz, 2 other) and I only use 5 on DVR

I’ll spend another 200 tops but not leaving me with many options, anyone have any Amazon sleeper options? I know I should invest in better but my couch isn’t that comfortable

if you’re still reading, thank you and take it easy on me

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Normally I'd say go for the cams but the wife looks like a cutie so I think I'd want to keep her happy.

Seriously, I wouldn't spend any money on an analog system at this point. Unless maybe you can pick up some stuff real, real cheap somewhere.

Otherwise, save the money and wait until you can buy a better POE system. You will at some point.

Reaction score
Normally I'd say go for the cams but the wife looks like a cutie so I think I'd want to keep her happy.

Seriously, I wouldn't spend any money on an analog system at this point. Unless maybe you can pick up some stuff real, real cheap somewhere.

Otherwise, save the money and wait until you can buy a better POE system. You will at some point.
Say I got a 5mp system say reolink, would I be able to turn them down to 1080p? I mean my tv is 4K, but wouldn’t I get better results by 8cams at 1080p with higher FPS than using all bandwidth and having lower FPS other resolution cameras?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Pass on the 5MP and pass on Reolink. Better off with 2MP and/or 4MP Dahua Starlight/Hikvision DarkFighter cams or their private-label equivalents. Spend some time reading the Wiki here (above) and the forums. You'll probably end up spending a little more initially than you planned but you'll save doing it over (as most of us have done) after you have a better understanding of things and what you need/want to do.

Generally you don't really need to worry about bandwidth. You'll have plenty with a small system. In most cases, you'd be better off with higher resolution (to a point) and a moderate FPS. 15 FPS is fine for surveillance video. You're not making documentary films or trying to capture high-speed events. You just need to see what's happening and get good captures of faces, etc. But, yes, usually you can turn the resolution of cams down to lower levels. That's typically more to save CPU and storage than bandwidth.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
go for IP cameras.

For a cheaper interim fix set up a WIFI access point on a different channel (1,6,11) then your home network with a ssid for the cameras. NOTE WIFI sucks for surveillance cameras, it is not recommended

If using an NVR and cameras, make sure they all come from the same manufacture, this will prevent the loss of camera features in the NVR. Also do not mix international cameras with Chinese hack cameras, some manufactures block these cameras on there NVR.

There was a post today from a member about a truck, trailer and four wheeler being stolen, there was video from a ring camera, it was totally useless.

===============================
From my greeting post

2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?

21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera firmware unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!

IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan
Do it right the first time saves money over having to do it twice.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Chinese cameras are of a lower build quality than the international cameras from the same manufacture. The Chinese hacked cameras are not upgradable. You have no idea what software is in the camera. They could be spying on your home network, they could be calling back to China, they could be a bot spamming the internet.

Way tohigh a risk factor to saves few dollars.

CJ133

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So far I've got 6 poe cameras from Andy.

Two IPC-T5442T-ZE 4MP for the front main area and four IPC-T2231T-ZS 2MP for everything else. They're all vari focal which is odd because originally I thought it was a waste of money and after owning one it's all I'll buy now.

The two 4MP ones I have are superior by quite a bit but the 2MP ones are very good. I'm very happy with them.

I used the PFA130-E mounts.

Reaction score
The Chinese cameras are of a lower build quality than the international cameras from the same manufacture. The Chinese hacked cameras are not upgradable. You have no idea what software is in the camera. They could be spying on your home network, they could be calling back to China, they could be a bot spamming the internet.

Way tohigh a risk factor to saves few dollars.
Bet you have Facebook messenger... look at the consent you gave to download app.. ever talk to a friend about something outloud in person and randomly see ads for it? China isn’t who I’m worried about, I’m more worried about the people in my sandbox spying on me. Once you connect any camera system to the internet you are just as much at risk than my Chinese system. I’ll save a couple bucks, let them fuckers stare at my property line and take those extra dollars and put food on my kids plate.