POE/POE+ switch recommendations - calling @giomania @arjun @fenderman @cyberwolf_uk

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I need to change my existing POE+ switch, because some of the ports are not working well.

I am looking to get one or two POE/POE+ switches as follows:

1) One 8 port or so switch for my enclosed shed, where some of the external cameras are connected. I would like some POE+ ports in case I need to add a PTZ or camera that needs the extra power?

I try to power the external cameras through 12v DC adapters at the point of install itself, but want to have the option of POE+ if needed

I recently saw an Intellinet 8 port POE/POE+ Gigabit unmanaged switch for about $130.

Is this a good option?

Or are there better options for that price range?

I notice that @giomania posted these options in his extensive notes, are these the way to go?

4-Port PoE+ Switch TRENDnet TPE-TG44G, 4 x Gigabit PoE/PoE+ Ports, 4 x Gigabit Ports $74.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS8-1N 8 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $37.06 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

8-Port PoE+ Switch BV-Tech POE-SW800G 8 Port Gigabit PoE+ 130W $109.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008PE 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ 124W $119.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 2-Port Non-PoE Switch Netis PE6110 10-Port Gigabit PoE+ 124W $89.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 8-Port Non-PoE Switch Linksys LGS116P 16-Port Gigabit PoE+ 80W $158.25 as of 7/6/17

16-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS16-1N 16 PORT Gigabit PoE+ 120W $85.21 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

Eventually I will connect this switch to another 'master' switch, which will run Blue Iris (BI) so that master switch will have maybe 8 or so independent cameras and also take input from the switch in the shed.

Which brand(s) of POE/POE+ switch do you recommend? Or are they the same and I should pick the cheapest?

I am in the USA and can buy them online or in store.

Thank you, your wisdom is always welcome

@Arjun @fenderman @cyberwolf_uk @giomania @hmjgriffon

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello @giomania Mr. Mark

I appreciate your reply, thank you.

I currently have a trendnet switch, it is a used one which the person helping me with the install gave me.

It says PoE+ Switch TPE-TG81g

Is this Provantage model comparable to the Intellinet that I refer to above or Linksys or other major brands?

Is there any second option you would recommend?

Thank you for your help!!!!

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting about your failing switch; I have a TRENDnet TPE-TG44g (4-port PoE+) that has been working fine for around 4 years, but I have only been using the PoE functionality Since June. I have no idea about the "V7" switch sold by both Amazon and ProVantage, but the ratings are high, if that is any accurate measurement. If it were me, I would take a shot at that switch. However, if you are thinking about a managed switch, then @fenderman will have a recommendation for you.

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For someone like me who is not computer networking knowledgeable, isn't an unmanaged switch easier to operate and maintain than a managed switch?

I believe one of the benefits of a managed switch is that the ports can be managed remotely, i.e. if the port needs to be rebooted or something?

If an unmanaged switch is adequate, I would rather go for that.

@giomania interestingly it is the POE capability that is not working well on some of the switches on the TrendNet

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There was a good post about the benefits of managed switches in the last few days, as I recall, but I can't find it. I want to add that to my "notes".

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personally I like managed switches so I can remote power cycle cameras if they freeze or just need a reboot due to not being able to access them. Not that it happens often, just easier than climbing a ladder and pulling the RJ45 cable out.

But I must admit with non junk cameras like Hik & Dahua, unless you have a cabling / under powered switch you don't get freezing cameras.... How Huisun cameras... That's a different story ;)

Reasonable price yet great POE switchs, I go for TP-Link... Never had one miss a beat.

POE

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I must say I like managed switches as well and have been recommending Zyxel, Ubiquiti, and BV-Tech to others. With a managed switch I have more control. I recommend a true 8-port PoE (all eight ports being PoE) switch to start with and add additional PoE switches when the need arises.

And you certainly don't need a gigabit switch -- the 100mbps uplink and downlink is more than adequate for most.

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Im thinking of getting one of these, but I read a few people saying it can eat up power, well... any switch can eat up a power bill. Just wondering if there is a big difference on kilowatt usage and if anyone has seen a substantial spike in there electric bills?
I can recommend these, have installed more than I care to remember. Whilst it's rated at 134W it's not going to be running at that wattage 24/7 unless you have 8 devices connected running full 15W per port.
Most POE cameras would be running at 4 - 8W but add PTZ extra IR etc and it could ramp upto 15w+

Sim31

n3wb
Reaction score
I can recommend these, have installed more than I care to remember. Whilst it's rated at 134W it's not going to be running at that wattage 24/7 unless you have 8 devices connected running full 15W per port.
Most POE cameras would be running at 4 - 8W but add PTZ extra IR etc and it could ramp upto 15w+
Good deal! One more question, are these loud? And would it be noticeable to hear, lets say if you put it in a bedroom?

alwayson

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@cyberwolf_uk @Sim31 @Arjun @giomania @ChooChooman74

Is there a big difference between brands, e.g. I am thinking of returning the unused, unopened Intellinet 8 port POE+ Gigabit with 140W power capacity and getting the TP link referenced here? Or some other brand in that price range or a bit more...

What do you all feel?

Thank you

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Is there a big difference between brands, e.g. I am thinking of returning the unused, unopened Intellinet 8 port POE+ Gigabit with 140W power capacity and getting the TP link referenced here? Or some other brand in that price range or a bit more...

What do you all feel?

Thank you
If money was no object I would personally be going for Ubiquiti and Cisco kit... Unfortunately I haven't got $$$$$$ spare. Not sure where you would slot TP-Link if Cisco and Ubiquiti were a 10 on a scale of 1 to 10!
Maybe 7 - 8? But all I know I've not had any problems with them personally, they are of a very good build quality and just work. I've recommended them to others who haven't had any issues...

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

What do you all feel?

Thank you
What specific model do you have? I don't know anything about Intellinet. Maybe they are re-branded from another manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What specific model do you have? I don't know anything about Intellinet. Maybe they are re-branded from another manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TP-LINK TL-SG1008PE For general installations ideal for 90% of users
TP-Link TL-SG2424P for manageable solution if they or you need the professional setup / configuration, VLAN's, POE port control, etc.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Holy macro, this has got to be the cheapest for a PoE Switch (5-Port) // Note: This is Unmanaged but will still get the job done --- simply plug-and-play
Anyone familiar with the brand, TENDA? $22.99 for a 5-Port Switch

TENDA TEF1105P 5-Port 100 Mbps Switch - Newegg.com

$22.99

TENDA TEF1105P 5-Port 100 Mbps Switch

• Power supply up to 250m (820 feet)
  • Power supply with 8-core Ethernet Cable
  • Support IEEE 802.3af/at Power Supply Standard