POE question

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am starting my hardware shopping list and had a question.
So far, I have two IPC-HDW5231P-Z cams. In reading in on of the threads, it takes up 5W with IR.

Question: Is 5W typical for Dahua cams ? While, at the moment I don't know exactly how many cams for outdoor I will end up but it as I am still doing my research to determine coverage. If I was to guss right now, it will be around 10 -15 cams. I would like to future proof, not just by getting enough ports but enough wattage to support the cams and/or IRs, if needed. I've considered two 8 ports managed POE to spread the load. If one goes down, the other will continue to operate.

I am not looking for anything that is dirt cheap but I also don't have money to burn since there's plenty of hardware to buy.

your comments are greatly appreciated.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I recall, my 5231R-Z is 3w daytime and 6w with the IR on. I tested one with a kill-a-watt when plugged into a switch. I haven't installed the cameras yet, just bench tested and tested locations. I have a BV Tech 18 port switch. It's unmanaged which is fine because my main Ubiquiti switch is managed (but not POE) since it's in my office 8' from my desk and I didn't want the fan noise. All of the cameras will be on the BV switch and on the same subnet. I think that switch is rated for 150w. Switches tend to be pretty reliable but dividing the cameras between two isn't a bad idea as long as every other camera is on the opposite switch so you'd still have some coverage in the event of a failure.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Mr_D,
Thanks for your reply. I have a 4 port BV Tech POE switch. I bought it for bench testing and like it a great deal so far. I got the 5watt value from reading the post where Nayr did a review of that cam.
I was also planning as what you have suggested. It would certainly be not a good install if my entire front or back cams went offline due to a switch outage - LOL

Last edited: