PoE Splitter

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nelly's sent me spam today and it contained something really neat that caught my eye:

• POE Powered 2 Port Unmanaged Switch: This device will take an incoming POE power source to be powered and act as a standard 2 Port POE switch. Has 1 port in and 2 Ports out. Useful if you want to take an incoming POE signal sent through one cable and be split out to power 2 cameras at once. Can also be used as a switch for non-POE devices as well
and at $50 thats a pretty damn good deal, I'll pay that to avoid yanking another cable if you want to add a 2nd camera nearby.

http://www.nellyssecurity.com/ipcampower-ipcp-ext2p-poe-powered-2-port-poe-extender-switch-for-ip-cameras.html

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting, so would that work to split power for two cams that take 12W each from POE+ switch.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it can take PoE+ input and outputs non + PoE, so it should work @klasipca

PoE IN PD (25.5W) , PoE Out PSE (15.4W )
You'd be @ 24W for the cameras, as long as the switch will run off the rest of the 1.5W left.. might see if you can find a 30W PoE+ injector just so your not cutting it so close.. like this one: http://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-I100G-Gigabit-Single-Injector/dp/B00B4H00EO

Jack, its small enough you can find all sorts of NMEA enclosures that it'll fit into.. just make your own.. anything with raw plugs and not pigtails is going to be difficult to waterproof.. its easier to do w/outdoor WiFi access points because you always know which end is going to point up :)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how would you plug this into a NVR? wouldn't the NVR only see one Camera because it's on one of the POE Ports?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you would simply plug it into your NVR, no the NVR would see 2 separate hosts because this is a switch and we are talking about network cameras.

its just a PoE powered switch with PoE passthrough.. 2 100Mbit PoE Ports plus 1 uplink...
much the same way my NVR is plugged into a 48 port switch and so are my cameras, they are not plugged into the NVR directly and it only has a single cable feeding it data from a half dozen cameras

Javik

n3wb
Reaction score
I find the whole "how would I plug it into my NVR" thing sorta weird. Seems odd companies would design NVRs with a built in POE switch. This is not NTSC/PAL where a direct connection is needed nor does a POE switch inside make anything simpler in terms of DHCP, etc.

The only thing the NVR needs is a single non-POE cable to a nearby POE switch

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
alot of folks have analouge on the brain, and those that dont often have home theatre on the brain.. Common problem, especially bad with professional installers ignorant of basic networking concepts, the sudden dominance of IP has exceeded many well entrenched pro's experience and knowledge.. the old dogs are convinced they know best, that makes them the hardest to retrain.

the security camera technology stagnated for a long time and its only recently that these massive generational advancements really started flowing down the pipe.. we have doubled the resolution more times in the last few years than we did in the decades prior.. You can now get high quality great Fixed Cams, Fisheye, Variable Lens, and PTZ's for a fraction of what it used to cost, UHD 4K is next and then 3D/Stereo and Thermal cameras for more common use seems to be possible in the near future, where it was ridiculous proposition not long ago.

sec cam tech is finally advancing as rapidly as other tech, and its about damn time.. if your not designing now for future growth then your going to be left behind.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old post for a product question I did not find the answer on Nelly's site or in the mfg docs.
And it looks like a useful device so maybe new people would be interested in it anyway.

My question..If I connect this to my POE switch, well that is 15.4W so if this splits it to power two cameras that would be max 7.7W per camera...So is that enough to power two IP cameras; say, two of my HDW5231R-Zs and their IR at night? (Dahua specs for these cameras only state "Power Consumption <8.5W" which indicates useage of > 7.7W is possible.
So it sounds like splitting standard POE (15.4W) using this device would not be sufficient to power two cameras and I'd have to be feeding it with POE+ (30W?) for it to work.

A related question, I have no idea what would happen to a camera when it is underpowered...could it still be damaged if it cannot draw enough juice?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nelly's sent me spam today and it contained something really neat that caught my eye:

and at $50 thats a pretty damn good deal, I'll pay that to avoid yanking another cable if you want to add a 2nd camera nearby.

IPCamPower IPCP-EXT2P POE Powered 2 Port POE Extender Switch for IP Cameras - Nelly's Security
Thanks! Just preparing to pull Cat5e/Cat6 lines, and you've reminded me to pull an additional Cat5e/Cat6 line to any location which I may consider an additional POE device.
( An extra line to each location will be rather affordable - as I am already doing the hard work pulling the lines to the locations. )

I'll just leave a bit extra in the wall / attic on the spare line in case I want to move the location a bit.