POE Strobe, Siren etc?

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi guys, having lots of issues with wireless wemo type switches. When the internet goes out in a storm they do not always reconnect on their own. I use them to remotely activate a 12 v strobe and siren. Being that this is a remote system, I can't power cycle them and get them running again. With that said:

1. Do they make a Strobe, siren or remote switch that I can turn on and off with my phone remotely, that is powered or at least controlled over POE? Or hardwired so I dont have wireless issues?

I have one more port left on my POE+ switch and a Blue Iris machine near by. I'd like to be able to push a button on my phone from another state to activate the strobe and siren to scare people off our property when I see them on the cameras. Heck even a loud speaker I can talk through would be cool, but sounds took complicated. I do have a Dahua PTZ that has an alarm out wire but not sure how to trigger that from Blue Iris and no power near that camera.

Thank you

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@CaliGirl
A speaker hooked to your BI server can serve this purpose.

Bi comes with several sounds that can be triggered via the App, under Remote Control.

All you would need is a small amplifier, and an outdoor rated speaker.
Mount speaker or speakers where you like, and connect to the amp.
then connect the sound output of the BI server to the amp.

You can even record your own sounds with a mic attached to the BI server that can be triggered from the app.
You can choose the sounds at time of remote control.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother with PoE.

I'd use z-wave instead of wemo. Throw a zwave stick in your BI machine (rPi works too) and install domoticz, open hab, or homeseer. This could also be used for power cycling the modem / router automatically if the PC detects that there's an issue. I'd keep the PC on a wemo so you could power cycle it if you needed to when the modem and router were functioning but it wasn't. You could even create a really simple display of the functioning of your various devices.

The RCR-REX motion detector (-B for black) has a buzzer you can wire up to scare people off. The intended function is to draw attention to doors that are propped open.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There are PoE paging horns that use sip but that's would be massive overkill. Also PoE strobes, but not worth the high price imho.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also since this is a remote property, it would be a good idea to add something like an altronix timer to the siren so that it can't sound for longer than a few minutes. If something went awry you wouldn't want it going off for hours / days. That's a recipe to have the cops break down your door to shut up your alarm.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wonderful. Thank you Looney. I didn’t even think of using BI to produce the sounds. Speaker and amp for $70 sounds like a good solution.

I won’t mess with POE then tangent. It did seem like there were very few if any good products to do what a wifi switch does with ethernet. You lost me on the zwave custom stuff. But I am googling it. My understanding is zwave is better then the wifi switches bc it is hard wired at the hub and a more stable wireless connection to each device. But looks kind of pricey to replace the 4 existing wifi switches. But might be a good option to stop using wifi. Since those are down now due to w power outage last month. And some good sensors for zwave.

That sea level device looks great but @ $169 that is pretty steep for what I am trying to do. I can get speakers for $30 and an amp for $40 for a total of $70.

POE pager horn is awesome but looks commercial and not prosumer so the prices looks quite high.

Good idea on the timer!

Would love if the wifi switch companies posted what the switch does behind the scenes when the power goes out to reconnect themselves. No one seems to know how long they try to reconnect and why the can’t always reconnect.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I won’t mess with POE then tangent. It did seem like there were very few if any good products to do what a wifi switch does with ethernet. You lost me on the zwave custom stuff. But I am googling it. My understanding is zwave is better then the wifi switches bc it is hard wired at the hub and a more stable wireless connection to each device. But looks kind of pricey to replace the 4 existing wifi switches. But might be a good option to stop using wifi. Since those are down now due to w power outage last month. And some good sensors for zwave.
Here's the timer I was mentioning: https://www.amazon.com/Altronix-6030-Timer-Bell-Cut-Timer/dp/B0006TZEDI/
You'd hook it up following the bell cut off diagram in the instructions: https://www.altronix.com/library/pdf/installation_instructions/6030.pdf
Word of caution here I'm assuming the 'siren' is powered off something like 12v and you're plugging in a transformer, in which case this would go between the transformer and siren. If it's powered straight off 120v this wouldn't work or be safe. Ideally you'd put this timer inside of something, maybe a plastic project box (cutting or drilling is required to get wires in there).

There are lots of different ways to do things with zwave. zwave isn't hard wired, it's a wireless mesh network. The advantage is you can set up things that function when your internet is down unlike wemo which generally requires internet. Though I think wemo can follow schedules offline.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Jacksonspop1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@CaliGirl
A speaker hooked to your BI server can serve this purpose.

Bi comes with several sounds that can be triggered via the App, under Remote Control.

All you would need is a small amplifier, and an outdoor rated speaker.
Mount speaker or speakers where you like, and connect to the amp.
then connect the sound output of the BI server to the amp.

You can even record your own sounds with a mic attached to the BI server that can be triggered from the app.
You can choose the sounds at time of remote control.
@looney2ns , are there any newer options to install a speaker or horn or siren to scare someone off if i see unwanted snooping around my carport when i am not home? i am not seeing any new posts on having an external speaker being controlled from the Blue Iris app remotely. thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Years ago my dad had a cabin in the mountains, and we had a small PC running the camera software (this was before we started using Blue Iris). So to be able to do two-way audio, we had the PC run Skype, set to auto-answer when called. Had a pair of speakers and a microphone hooked up to it of course.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns , are there any newer options to install a speaker or horn or siren to scare someone off if i see unwanted snooping around my carport when i am not home? i am not seeing any new posts on having an external speaker being controlled from the Blue Iris app remotely. thanks.
Not unless you install a camera with the capabilities built-in.
Dahua and Hikvision offer several.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Axis has an ip horn for 600 bux. Its a shame that no one makes a siren and strobe for a reasonable 200. I use a dahua camera with a built in speaker. The blue iris "airhorn" sound comes out pretty loud and may work for you. If you get a camera with audio out attach a cheap amp and marine speaker you should be able to get much louder.

Jacksonspop1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not unless you install a camera with the capabilities built-in.
Dahua and Hikvision offer several.
i think ill get this one. Dahua 5MP Full-color WizSense IP Camera IPC-HDW3549H-AS-PV Mic Speaker POE H.265 | eBay
so i guess i need a better speaker and not use the one that comes within the camera itself? plug in the audio out rca jack into a speaker near the camera, and if the speaker calls for an amp, mount it in a pvc box and the speaker on the front of the box?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You will need an amplifier if you use the audio output of the camera. That output is a line level output, not a speaker level output.