POE Switch but for wider operating temperatures? (mount in the uninsulated attic)

rotation

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am currently rebuilding my network.
Mostly because my network(s) are split into multiple wired networks connected via powerlan and I want to get rid of powerlan.

Currently a few cameras are connected to a switch. Unfortunately I cannot add more cables to the switch because the switch is on first floor, the wiring is though the attic and there is only a small cable channel being the bottleneck.
One solution would be to move the switch from first floor to the attic, then the bottleneck would be no more.
However: The attic is not insulated, means in summer hot in winter cold. It could be -10°C in winter, it could be 50°C in summer - I truthfully do not know because I never measured.

most of the devices I find have a operating temperature of 0-40 °C, which means for my uninsulated attic the switch would be outside the operating temperature.
I found a few Netgear devices having 0-50°C but that only makes it easier in summer, not in winter.

Are there POE switches with a wider operating temperature?
Are there other options so a standard device can be used? e.g. a insulating box providing lower temperature in summer and higher in winter?

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've been using Netgear GS110TP or GS108PE in my uninsulated garage attic since 2009 and it gets 100f+ in the summer and below freezing in the winter, haven't had any issues yet.

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As everyone already stated, heat will reduce the life of electronics. Will it work in the attic, probably, but the life of the unit will be reduced. “The rule of thumb is that every 10°C increase in temperature reduces component life by half”. I would look for a solution in a cooler environment, than the attic.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The standard electronics in the switches are 85C. Only the switches that have certain micro-controllers in them, which have fans, have temperature limitations.

The company I work for have installations running for almost a decade with the same switches in plastic weatherproof enclosures outside. The only thing we have service calls to them are upgrades and the occasional hail storm damage replacements on domes.

The only thing with putting a switch in the attic is the dust and I would just throw it into a weatherproof enclosure if I had to install it into the attic.

Installation of cameras in soffits and into attic spaces, I always use the waterproof connector cover to keep the dust out of the connector.

Beyond that, since I don't install electrical outlets, I use a switch that has a separate power supply and splice in about 20 feet of 18 guage wire with some dolphin butt splices and plug in the power supply in the room below where the switch was installed in the attic. That is one of the reasons why the BV sw-811 is one of my favorite switches to use for installations.

tech_junkie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Could you point out a specific POE switch with a 85C operating temperature? I would like to buy it.
You can get one that is guaranteed in the sense of a datasheet, like a Hikvision DS-3T0510HP-E/HS or the TrenD TI-PG102 or the BV switch I suggested because I have so many torture tested in the field in installs and they haven't gone down in years. Those datasheets are generalizations btw and are not always guaranteed to specifications.

Last edited: