POE Switch Issue

program2

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, all - Sorry for what seems like a basic question, but I'm useless when it comes to this stuff.

Months ago, in anticipation of getting my camera set-up, I purchased a Netgear F116P POE switch (8 POE, 8 non). This item was supposed to be new, but without box. It looks brand new, but when I went to use it yesterday I discovered a problem.

The included power supply is 12V 2A whereas the switch says it requires 48V 1.47A. The switch turns on, but is obviously underpowered and will not provide POE.

Easy enough, right? I thought so, but all 48V 2A power supplies I find online have horrible reviews for overheating and burning out. I found one that is rated very well, but is 48C 1.25A --- would this work? If not, is there a reliable source for power supplies that I should be looking at?

Tagging @nayr since these are the Dahua Starlights and he is the king of Starlight info. I'll be powering a total of 6 cameras.

Appreciate any advice - so confused trying to figure out what I thought would be an easy thing!

Thanks everyone!

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The FS116 (non-POE) switch's datasheet list its power requirements as 16.5W (http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/FS116/FS116_datasheet.pdf). A 48V power supply @ 1.25A is a 60W supply. This leaves the cameras with about 43.5W total to use. If you have six cameras the max they should draw would need to be about 7W each. Anyways, now you should be able to choose a proper power supply based on your cameras. Keep in mind, you may want to add a camera or two in the future, so a little headroom is nice.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Specs for the FS116P says;

– 48V DC, 1.45A (70W max); plug is
localized to country of sale

– Total Power Consumption:
72W maximum
– Total PoE Power Budget:
55W maximum

At that rate, 8 7W PoE cameras is 1W more than the budget.

Wayne