POE+ Switch Recommendations Please

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well it's been a long time coming but after a nearly 2 year renovation of my Mums new house, I am terminating the CCTV wiring over the next couple of weeks in among the landscaping jobs.

I got so into it earlier in the project that I started trialing a dry run setup of the Blue Iris system at home and I ended up deciding it was so much better than my existing setup that I would keep it for myself.

My mums system will be slightly larger.

The switch will have to handle the following:-
  • 6 x HDW5231R-ZE (I notice this is now listed as the HDBW, has the HDW been improved upon?)
  • 2 x PTZ's maximum - "probably zero"
  • That is a maximum of 8 poe/poe+ cameras
  • Also, the domestic cabling providing hard wired ethernet to each room means there must be at least 16 standard ports to the rest of the house.

So, a 24 port switch will suffice but it need to power up to 8 poe (possibly 2/3 poe+)

(I must acknowledge Andy @EMPIRETECANDY for his past service btw - great after sales)

Should I:-

a) Buy a 8 port POE+ switch & a standard 16 or 24 port switch?
b) Buy a 24 port POE+ switch?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding your networking question, personally I have a standard unmanaged low power 16 port switch for my regular network devices, and an 8 port POE that has 2 uplink ports. This is more due to the fact that I've had the 16 port switch for years once I needed more than 4 ports that my router provided, and then just got cams this past Nov. Also.. my BI computer motherboard has 2 ethernet ports, so with the separate POE switch I have a physically separate network for the cams.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Just checked that Zyxel. Max output per port is great but with only a total available output of 70w, that particular Zyxel will not power just 6 5231's never mind if I did get some camera's either a long way away or PTZ's.

Meanwhile I found this:- Netgear M4100-24G-POE+

It has a whole 360w available POE+ available. That is a lot of power and would provide enough for PTZ's and long range requirements of POE+. I know it is not cheap but it does the job with plenty of scope for expansion later.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

Just checked that Zyxel. Max output per port is great but with only a total available output of 70w, that particular Zyxel will not power just 6 5231's never mind if I did get some camera's either a long way away or PTZ's.

Meanwhile I found this:- Netgear M4100-24G-POE+

It has a whole 360w available POE+ available. That is a lot of power and would provide enough for PTZ's and long range requirements of POE+. I know it is not cheap but it does the job with plenty of scope for expansion later.
It will easily power 6 5231 cameras, those cams use 2-3w without ir and maybe 4-5 with IR. A few more whats with the varifocal motor running but that will be used one time during the install. Even at full spec of 8.5 watts you have 6x8.5=51 but in reality you are talking about using 30w total at best. If you want to expand later, buy an additional switch. Zyxel also has an unmanged version with 60w total for 70 bux.
That netgear is likely really loud.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I could be running 2xcamera's very long distances (less than 100m) but I suppose that is what the POE+ is for isn't it.

Also if I did install PTZ's and I can't be sure I would as I have never had the need, although my mums yard is substantial in area, I can see it may have more benefit than at my small yard.
Would the Zyxel cope with PTZ's and longer runs on top of 6 x 5231's?

In addition and I am thinking on the spot here, if I wanted a couple of independent IR's to give a permanent light during the dark evenings, I could really tweak the 5231's to a constant lighting situation with the Netgear additional power.

No way could the 5231's IR's cover the distance of mums yard. I'm starting to convince myself now...

Whatever I choose, it's going in a room where noise doesn't matter. The netgear is below 33.8db, that is similar to a kitchen fridge although possibly more annoying if it's those pesky little fans.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I could be running 2xcamera's very long distances (less than 100m) but I suppose that is what the POE+ is for isn't it.

Also if I did install PTZ's and I can't be sure I would as I have never had the need, although my mums yard is substantial in area, I can see it may have more benefit than at my small yard.
Would the Zyxel cope with PTZ's and longer runs on top of 6 x 5231's?

In addition and I am thinking on the spot here, if I wanted a couple of independent IR's to give a permanent light during the dark evenings, I could really tweak the 5231's to a constant lighting situation with the Netgear additional power.

No way could the 5231's IR's cover the distance of mums yard. I'm starting to convince myself now...

Whatever I choose, it's going in a room where noise doesn't matter. The netgear is below 33.8db, that is similar to a kitchen fridge although possibly more annoying if it's those pesky little fans.
the distance doesnt matter. No the Poe+ has nothing to do with distance, its just the max power available to supply at the end of the line.
I promise you will never have to install a ptz because 99 percent of the time is useless and foolish. You mom is not going to sit there manning the ptz.
Sometimes you need to learn the hard way...buy the netgear and a few ptz's.

Rhodesy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You mom is not going to sit there manning the ptz.
Sometimes you need to learn the hard way...buy the netgear and a few ptz's.
No she's not that is for sure. I may have a go but you'r right, I probably won't either.

However I may add those separate IR's and I may add a couple of extra camera's further down the line.

So I guess your going to be pretty much correct @fenderman, I could just add a second Zyxel later.

The only other thing that is in the Netgear favor is the fact it would be neat and tidy all in one unit and never needing to expand. I could set up on day one and off I go.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The only other thing that is in the Netgear favor is the fact it would be neat and tidy all in one unit and never needing to expand. I could set up on day one and off I go.
Is neat and tidy worth an extra 550? To some with severe ocd, it is. If you got two zyxels, it would be an extra 450.
Even if you wanted a larger switch, the specific model is way overpriced for your needs.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well it's been a long time coming but after a nearly 2 year renovation of my Mums new house, I am terminating the CCTV wiring over the next couple of weeks in among the landscaping jobs.

I got so into it earlier in the project that I started trialing a dry run setup of the Blue Iris system at home and I ended up deciding it was so much better than my existing setup that I would keep it for myself.

My mums system will be slightly larger.

The switch will have to handle the following:-
  • 6 x HDW5231R-ZE (I notice this is now listed as the HDBW, has the HDW been improved upon?)
  • 2 x PTZ's maximum - "probably zero"
  • That is a maximum of 8 poe/poe+ cameras
  • Also, the domestic cabling providing hard wired ethernet to each room means there must be at least 16 standard ports to the rest of the house.
So, a 24 port switch will suffice but it need to power up to 8 poe (possibly 2/3 poe+)

(I must acknowledge Andy @EMPIRETECANDY for his past service btw - great after sales)

Should I:-

a) Buy a 8 port POE+ switch & a standard 16 or 24 port switch?
b) Buy a 24 port POE+ switch?
The camera is HDW not HDBW, HDBW is dome one. For the poe switch, this one is the high end one can support Hi-poe.
https://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/productDetail/25157

camerafool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd get two switches and keep them separated by fiber for surge/lightning protection.
Netgear GS510TP POE can be found on eBay for <$100.