POE switch recommendations...

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a POE switch to match with my non POE Dahua NVR. 8 ports is good enough. Anyone know of a good (cheap??) reliable POE switch i can use?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
The one you listed is not POE.
I recently purchased a BV Tech 8-port unmanaged POE switch. I have no complaints this far. This switch was recommended on the forum.

BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray) Amazon.com: BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray): Computers & Accessories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mark C

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently purchased a BV Tech 8-port unmanaged POE switch. I have no complaints this far. This switch was recommended on the forum.

BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray) Amazon.com: BV-TECH 8 Port 120W 10/100Mbps Power over Ethernet Switch - Designed for IP Camera Use(Gray): Computers & Accessories

good call on the POE aspect. i was looking at too many of them that i didnt even notice that...thanks for your recommendation. that seems to be the price im willing to pay.

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I purchased a Juniper EX2200-24P on eBay for about $150.

It is a managed switch, 24 ports of PoE.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased a Juniper EX2200-24P on eBay for about $150.

It is a managed switch, 24 ports of PoE.
max 65w power consumption without poe...ouch...put it on a killawatt meter...you will likely perpetually pay for this "savings"

LandofTomorrow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Hi @greenmarcus_02 ,
Not to hijack thread...Looking for a POE switch for 6 Dahua 2mp starlights with some room to add 1/2 later. The one you quoted BV-TECH has 8 POE ports PLUS an uplink which is nice (compared to say the other 7+1 TPlink switch). The only issue I wonder is the uplink is also 10/100.

@nayr had mentioned something like 40mb/sec for 4 such cameras somewhere else. In that case it should be OK i guess for 7 or 8 IP, correct? Or is it better to go with a gigabit switch?

Also, came across this one on amazon's warehouse: Has 8 dedicated POE gigabit ports and separate uplinks, also gigabit
Amazon.com: NETGEAR ProSAFE GS110TP 8-Port PoE Gigabit Smart Managed Switch with 2 Gigabit SFP Ports 53w (GS110TP-200NAS): Amazon Warehouse Deals

I dont think i need a managed one for home, but just wondered based on specs

thanks

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
max 65w power consumption without poe...ouch...put it on a killawatt meter...you will likely perpetually pay for this "savings"
That is max power, I am running well below that. Each camera is taking 1.7W at the moment; the switch fabric is drawing 5.9W.

It is a fully managed switch, with layer 2 and layer 3 functionality. I have all my cameras on an isolated network, blue iris on a "DMZ" network, and users on another. I have an SRX240 firewall controlling the flows between the various networks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is max power, I am running well below that. Each camera is taking 1.7W at the moment; the switch fabric is drawing 5.9W.

It is a fully managed switch, with layer 2 and layer 3 functionality. I have all my cameras on an isolated network, blue iris on a "DMZ" network, and users on another. I have an SRX240 firewall controlling the flows between the various networks.
I understand that its the max power as i indicated. Most of these old switches are powerhogs, that is my point. as well as very loud. It is strange to have that high of a max power rating when not using poe unless the switch actually has a high power draw...

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My plan is to eventually have about 16 PoE cameras; I wanted something with some horse power :)

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great info and was about to ask for suggestions. Plan is to start with about 10 cameras with possibility of adding more. The BV Tech unit have solid Amazon reviews.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the "TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Rackmount Energy-efficient Switch with 124W 8-PoE+ Ports (TL-SG1008PE)"and i want to get a 16 port poe with fanless, the
TP-Link (TL-SG1008PE) is quite noise as it has the fan and i am remodeling my home and i sleep in the office and is quite noticeable, but other wise is a good switch...
Any recommendations for a poe 16 port poe+?
Also what is best : managed or un-managed?

Thanks,

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
I just picked up a HP 2600-PWR managed switch for a backup. The price is right and HP is built like a tank. I use an older version of FirefoxPortable ESR and JPortable (32bit JRE) to manage it. Got mine for $25 delivered.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Machine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Managed ... the answer is always managed :)

Managed will let you setup VLANs, as well as see various information regarding port statistics.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Managed ... the answer is always managed :)

Managed will let you setup VLANs, as well as see various information regarding port statistics.
Well if get Managed, do you have to setup each port how much watts can that port can give out? to each camera?
Thanks,

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice.
So is this fan less or it does have a fan?
Thanks,
It does have a fan which is fairly loud. If I put it into full time service I'll look into a quieter fan replacement.

For the most part the switch is plug and play to get you started. The managed capabilities provide enterprise tools that put you in charge. Some of it's features are: 15.4 watts/port, SSH, SSL (https), TELNET, VLAN, web interface, CLI with a menu option (Putty). You can do more with the CLI and there's a learning curve which is not too steep. CLI is needed to properly secure the switch. HP switches provide dual flash capability which is more or less a dual boot option and fairly easy to manage. Plus there are multiple configurations options. This thing really kicks ass. HP support is thorough and available online. The last firmware update was April 2016 for the 2600. I have another HP managed switch which is smaller in size, fanless and a little smarter but cost much more.

Last edited: