POE Switch Suggestions

Matrix1

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm running 10 HIK IPC's on a 16 Channel HIK POE NVR. Do you have any suggestions on a 16 Chanel POE Switch for my system?

Is it possible to run two separate 8 Channel POE Switches connected to one (1) NVR?

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here are a few recommendations I have seen in my travels here:

8-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS8-1N, 8 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 120W $37.06 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

8-Port PoE+ Switch BV-Tech POE-SW800G, 8 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 130W $109.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ Switch TP-Link TL-SG1008PE, 8 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 124W $119.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 2-Port Non-PoE Switch Netis PE6110, 10 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 124W $89.99 as of 7/6/17

8-Port PoE+ & 8-Port Non-PoE Switch Linksys LGS116P, 16 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 80W $158.25 as of 7/6/17

16-Port PoE+ Switch V7 PEGS16-1N, 16 x Gigabit PoE+ ports 120W $85.21 as of 8/1/17 Specifications

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Bokeh

n3wb
Reaction score
I would recommend Ubiquiti hardware if its within your budget. They have two lines of switches Unifi and EdgeMax

UniFi line: Ubiquiti Networks - Products
EdgeMax line: Ubiquiti Networks - Products

I recently set up a 15 hikvision cameras for my home and am very happy with Umbiquiti network hardware. I bought their edge router pro, edgemax 24port 500w and unifi 24 port 250w. Ubiquiti also has IP cameras, but they didn't appeal to me so I went with Hikvision. Ubiquiti also has a large and helpful online community if you need help configuring things.

the UniFi line is nice if you want a web app to monitor the network and the EdgeMax line is more "pro" it don't use the web app controller, but it does have a nice GUI to administer it. Personally, I use the UniFi for my homes LAN and WiFi(three UniFi access points) and I use the EdgeSwitch for the IP cameras.

Last edited:

RMatt

n3wb
Reaction score
May I ask why you want to run the IPC's off a switch (or 2 switch's) instead of the NVR itself (Im asking from a curiosity and learning perspective)?
I have been researching my first IP camera system. I am looking at an external switch. Using a self-contained NVR with internal switch will mean that changing its location would be difficult down the road. By using an external switch, I can place the switch any location that makes the most sense for the camera wiring, and then run a single cable from it to the NVR. Moving the NVR is then much easier and does not require touching any of the cables from the cameras.

The switchless NVR models are a little cheaper, so the net cost is not so different. This may also mean a quieter NVR. Switches are available that are fanless and are therefore silent.

CBers

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just installed 4 IP PoE cameras, connected via a Cisco SF300-24PP 24-Port 10/100 PoE+ Managed Switch to my GB lan

I'm using the Blue Iris NVR software, recording to local discs on my Windows server.

I'll only have to install new NVR software if I decide to switch, leaving everything else in place.

Last edited:

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
May I ask why you want to run the IPC's off a switch (or 2 switch's) instead of the NVR itself (Im asking from a curiosity and learning perspective)?
I use Poe switches for power purposes. In the event a thief makes it out with my NVR, I know that my cameras still have POE power via a seperate switch and so the cameras are still recording to the memory card inside the camera