PoE Switch Suitability: DGS-1100-24P

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
First post regarding a new system I need to put together... and surprisingly for me it's about a component that I never factored. A PoE switch.

Thoughts on this for AU$90 (US$70) second hand?
24-Port Gigabit Smart Managed PoE Switch with 12 PoE ports

Context is a 6-8 channel NVR based system, which may expand a bit in the future.

Through this forum I have already been saved one mistake, that being to rely on the NVR for switching duties... resulting in difficulties accessing the camera setup menus. I appreciate this valuable nugget. Also thanks for all the other quality material I've gleaned from reading solidly over the last few days.

Cheers,
Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First post regarding a new system I need to put together... and surprisingly for me it's about a component that I never factored. A PoE switch.

Thoughts on this for AU$90 (US$70) second hand?
24-Port Gigabit Smart Managed PoE Switch with 12 PoE ports

Context is a 6-8 channel NVR based system, which may expand a bit in the future.

Through this forum I have already been saved one mistake, that being to rely on the NVR for switching duties... resulting in difficulties accessing the camera setup menus. I appreciate this valuable nugget. Also thanks for all the other quality material I've gleaned from reading solidly over the last few days.

Cheers,
Steve
if you can get that switch for the price you mentioned its a steal - something doesnt sound right it retails for 260 or so usd...ensure that you are buying the POE version not the standard version with no poe...
also consider that the switch may be noisy compared to a smaller fanless model.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response Fenderman. I guess the risk is that it's faulty in some way... I did notice that it seems very cheap and I'm wary of that. Unfortunately I'd struggle to test it prior to purchase.

I'm thinking about locating it in the roof cavity (attic) as I've read the business gear can suffer from fan noise.

Cheers,
Steve

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response Fenderman. I guess the risk is that it's faulty in some way... I did notice that it seems very cheap and I'm wary of that. Unfortunately I'd struggle to test it prior to purchase.

I'm thinking about locating it in the roof cavity (attic) as I've read the business gear can suffer from fan noise.

Cheers,
Steve
Their business products have a lifetime warranty (i believe) however sometimes they ask for a receipt...that said the biggest concern is that someone is trying to rip you off...ensure that your buying method has some recourse of your are screwed over...if its too good to be true, it likely is...
putting electronics in a hot attic is not a great idea..

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The seller is a surveillance guy. He just warned me about import cameras unsolicited, which was nice... so I'm getting the impression he just wants a quick sale.

I know what you mean about heat in the roof space. I'm in Perth, Western Australia and it gets extremely hot. So does the cupboard where my girlfriend makes me install all the other electronics a man requires!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The seller is a surveillance guy. He just warned me about import cameras unsolicited, which was nice... so I'm getting the impression he just wants a quick sale.

I know what you mean about heat in the roof space. I'm in Perth, Western Australia and it gets extremely hot. So does the cupboard where my girlfriend makes me install all the other electronics a man requires!
There have been users here ripped off by "surveillance guys"..makes no sense to sell something for 1/4 the price..Ouch! I'm a victim of fraud. But #iamcomingforyou