POE Switch

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, Just wanted to make sure if a POE switch connects behind the NVR and can add additional cameras?

What are my options/advantage using a POE switch?

Thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it wont let you exceed the cameras channel limit, if its a 16ch NVR you only getting 16 cameras configured regardless how many ports you manage to wire up.

PoE switches are used with non poe NVR's and PC NVR's, they allow for much more flexible network configurations and let you manage cameras directly if/when the NVR is unable to do so its self.. additional network security may be required as the cameras are no longer on their own isolated network unless you set it up your self.

shaids

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah okay. So basically some nvr's ex: 16 port comes with 8 poe's so we use a poe switch to connect the 8 remaining.. True?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, my NVR came with 0 PoE ports.. you want a GigE uplink for 8 cameras more than likely, you might have to network those in through the GigE Lan port.

I dont like putting more than 6-7 cameras on a 100Mbit fast ethernet port, with multiple streams and local video storage the potential is there for an easily avoided network bottleneck.. Uplinks between switches should always be GigE (minimum) as a best overall practice.

Last edited: