PoE switch

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've seen the BV-TECH POE switches recommended here and it's what I bought for my system. Then it just depends on whether you need a gigabit or 10/100 switch (one of each linked below).

BV-Tech POE-SW800G | 8 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at
Amazon.com: BV-Tech POE-SW800G | 8 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch – 130W – 802.3at: Computers & Accessories

BV-Tech POE-SW801 BV TECH 8 Port & 1 Port Uplink 10/100mbps PoE Switch, IEEE 802.3af, 150W (Grey)
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-POE-SW801-Uplink-100mbps-802-3af/dp/B010QXCIRS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1486423948&sr=8-5&keywords=bv-tech+poe+switch+8+port

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had no problem with smaller NetGear 4 x PoE (mainly for VoIP telephony) this one has 8 x PoE but check the 53W max power that is not a lot for a 8 port PoE switch.

On the back of the switch I see 48V/1.25A = 60W minus 7W for its own usage = 53W max for all ports with a max of 15W per port so if you have cameras with a lot of IR Leds only 3 of them may use 15W each (or more then it will not work but usually constructors try to stay with 15W on PoE but with PTZ and heat system it will go over 15W) = 45W so only 8W left for a fourth camera and nothing left for # 5 #6 #7 #8.

So first check how many PoE cameras you want to connect (I mean "real PoE cameras not 12V splitter injection) and was is the max power used by each camera (check tech spec).

Last edited:

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just waiting for Andy to send me the invoice on 4 cams. The Turret style Dahua recommended by everyone on here. That's to start with. Then add on. I would like to have a audible and visual warning tied in some how. Mounted to the front of the house.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just waiting for Andy to send me the invoice on 4 cams. The Turret style Dahua recommended by everyone on here. That's to start with. Then add on. I would like to have a audible and visual warning tied in some how. Mounted to the front of the house.
I don't know which model it is but go to Dahua's web site and check its power requirement but I am not sure the 8 port NetGear model is the best choice (too many PoE ports that may never be able to provide enought power).

Reaction score

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man my attic would be a great place to keep it but think the heat may be harsh on it. I have the outlet there and it's a central run for all of the cams. One short run to the computer running blue iris.

Reaction score
Man my attic would be a great place to keep it but think the heat may be harsh on it. I have the outlet there and it's a central run for all of the cams. One short run to the computer running blue iris.
If environmental is concerning you then just use more cable. Put switch in a suitable location.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gonna have to run more cable. At least for 2 camera's. Gonna be fun! My attic is a nightmare. Good time for a clean out.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Helping my brother in law gut and renovate a double house. It's probably 75+ years old. I cut more neglected rot out of that house in the last few weeks than I'd care to talk about. We make it fun but we hurt when we start and when we end. Lol

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
Helping my brother in law gut and renovate a double house. It's probably 75+ years old. I cut more neglected rot out of that house in the last few weeks than I'd care to talk about. We make it fun but we hurt when we start and when we end. Lol
Wife and I just stepped out of a house built in 1922. Our first thought was that, that we would run into a lot of old problems. Just the opposite. The previous owner did so many bad renovations it was just better to leave it. At first glance you don't see it but it became very obvious. 72 thousand into a kitchen remodel without first leveling the floor (Entire new kitchen was off just a little) so doors, cabinets all didn't work quite right (All custom triple molding level renovation.

Such a waste.