POE Switch

Bret_FL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a couple Dahua cams I will be putting up to replace UBNT cams that run off one of the UBNT tough Switches, am I correct in thinking the UBNT tough switch does not pass through the correct voltage for a regular poe IP camera?

I have another location at my house where I used some UBNT antennas and a tough switch to get some Dahua IP cameras at my boat house and can't remember if I had to run a separate POE injector off a non POE port on the tough switch. Have not had time to climb up and open the box to see how I set it up...

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Depends on the touchswitch, I think. 48 volts is what you need, and I think some of the toughswitches let you switch each port individually between 24 and 48 volts.

TiChucker

n3wb
Reaction score
Be careful with ubiquity gear. Some of their older equipment uses passive 24V, some use passive 48V, some switches will only supply 24V, some are 48V passive, some will supply both voltages passive, and now their newer gear is finally fully 802.3af/ at compliant. Most IP cams need 802.3af compliant injectors or switches, and may not even boot off of a 48V passive POE switch, even though it is the right voltage.

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
get a netgear 24 ports poe switch from ebay...200$ new if you lucky enough. with 4 Gig ports also. model is FS728p

gpower07

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used the following for my 6 cams and 12 data drops

Amazon.com: TRENDnet 48-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch (TPE-4840WS): Computers & Accessories

Also like @TiChucker Ubiquiti APs will not run on my switch so I am just using the POE injector that came with mine
I have the 24 port version of this one and decided to just take it to work for use in one of my labs. The fans are WAY too loud for my home office, even in a 12U enclosure that is mostly sealed up.

I ended up with this one that has more power wattage:

Amazon.com: Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch ES24-500W 24 port Gigabit, 500W, Managed PoE: Computers & Accessories

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Doolally

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah little loud like Fenderman previously mentioned, mine is going in a storage room out the way

Attachments

HalfMoon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, mine is in my office and will soon be in the wall in the closet to my home office in a cable management box. The Ubiquiti is pretty much silent, even when it is hot and the fans are going full speed. The Trendnet was able to be heard 2 rooms away with the door to my office closed.

I like Trend stuff otherwise though, we use a lot of their switches in the ad-hoc labs at work where we're not controlled by IT requirements to use the $$$$ stuff.

One thing I did notice, with the trendnet my SD59225U-HNI PTZ would reboot if both the short range and long range IR came on. I had to power it with the brick that came with the camera. With the Ubiquity it powers it just fine and no issues.

Last edited: