Polarized lenses

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a Dahua starlight bullet (z5) lpr cam setup that does the job well, and it is also in a good position to ID driver/passenger faces during the daytime. Although sometimes glare gets in the way, especially when their windows are all rolled up.

Has anyone here tried messing with polarized filters on their cams to see better through windows? I was thinking of cutting and gluing a polarized filter on the front of the camera, but wanted input from the forums before I do such a hack.

Kev

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks John!

My original idea was to get a small sheet of polarized glass and either glue it to the front of the cam, or maybe 3d print a mount that slips over the front. However both methods would make it hard not to also block the ir leds, which I want to avoid.

Anyone taken apart their a Dahua z5 (or z12)... is there maybe enough room between glass and lens to possibly fit a slip ring in there? An internal filter wouldn't block the ir.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
...wonder if Andy could talk to his manufacturers and see if they could make a z12 with filtered glass. That would be perfect for the job!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
If you think a filter would be good for your situation, get a box camera with a lens that'll accept a filter and put it in a heated outdoor housing. The trouble with filters is that you have to rotate them for the specific angle of glare to be filtered out. Check out circular polarizers for dash cams for example. They cut glare from the inside of a windshield but need to be rotated until you manually find the magic angle.

truglo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I was aware of polarization angles and planned for testing whatever methods I try. In my case though, the putting a box out there would have too negative an impact on curb appeal. It is tucked in a small roof return on my single story home.