Pole Barn Install Advice

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm a concrete dispatcher by day. In the winter, there is not much to do. I've been in graphic design for a while, and have a sign business so I'll draw out camera layouts killing time.

My friend wants his pole barn secured. We ran Cat6 from the house to the barn a couple weeks ago. Once he was connected with all the benefits that come with it, he wanted an NVR + 2 Camera setup. He "lives" in the pole barn when home. His man cave, building 500HP+ race snowmobiles in the winter. They are pretty awesome.

I decided to go with an HDBW5231R-Z mounted inside to cover the only two entry points. The camera would be 25 feet from the garage door and 40 feet from the man door, which are all on the same wall.

Outside I decided on the SD59225U-HNI. It's about 450 feet from the camera mount to the beginning of the driveway. The DORI Identify range of this camera is 528 ft so we are hoping to cover the entrance to his property. To add to that, I'll have two PIR sensors on the far corner of the barn that would trigger PTZ presets and track motion if it occurs.

I also added two outdoor bullet mics for each camera to record sound events. The PIR's and each mic will require 12v and I believe I've laid out the wiring to achieve this. I wanted to use two open ports of the NVR to run the power to the PIR's, using an extractor at the end to power the devices.

I'm open to all criticism and ideas. This is my first attempt at a POE IP Camera install/setup. Any advice on the wiring schematic, and pros and cons is greatly appreciated.

Oh, I forgot. I have $1247 USD invested all in for the project so far.

SD

You will have to open the pics in a new window to zoom in to see detail.

Dori Distance SD59225U-HNI.JPG Dynamo_Pole_Barn_Layout.jpg

Last edited:

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wish I could help. Just found this while looking for ideas for my pole barn. I'm probably going to make my own thread asking for advice. Now that I have my cameras (got one of the starlight 5231 turrets for the barn) I'm thinking a PTZ would better suit me (or 2-3 of the 5231 turrets) so my only comment is good thing you went with that off the bat.

Do you have any pictures/screen shots of what you ended up doing?

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Install is next Saturday, 3/18. I have everything working on the bench so far. Just need the weather to cooperate.

One SD59225U-HNI for outside corner and an HDBW5231R-Z for interior entry coverage.

SD

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm very curious to see how you go about getting that PTZ going and it's coverage. I'm struggling with covering the front my my 40ft wide barn. I've got a very similar set up and am contemplating getting one for the corner (same location as you... Right next to the man door) but the $350 one not the $500 camera haha. and then a straight shot 275 ft down my driveway to the road.

I my case I think I'd have it pointing down the driveway all the time, then have a sensor at the door for a preset (for if anyone is walking up to the door or on the 40ftx40ft pad in front of the barn)

Then I'm assuming I could manually control the PTZ to view damn near my entire property (6 Acres) whenever I feel like "watching the grass grow"

Hopefully you detail the presets and whatnot very well :)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another thing im curious about is what's going to happen when he's outside in front of the barn, let's say cutting the grass or something. I'm Imagining the PTZ picking up the motion of him pulling the mower out of the barn or just driving it past the sensor, then the camera spends the next 3 hours following him mowing the grass....

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm very curious to see how you go about getting that PTZ going and it's coverage. I'm struggling with covering the front my my 40ft wide barn. I've got a very similar set up and am contemplating getting one for the corner (same location as you... Right next to the man door) but the $350 one not the $500 camera haha. and then a straight shot 275 ft down my driveway to the road.

I my case I think I'd have it pointing down the driveway all the time, then have a sensor at the door for a preset (for if anyone is walking up to the door or on the 40ftx40ft pad in front of the barn)

Then I'm assuming I could manually control the PTZ to view damn near my entire property (6 Acres) whenever I feel like "watching the grass grow"

Hopefully you detail the presets and whatnot very well :)
@DavidDavid, I have had this setup in my basement for two weeks now, and the PIR sensors are working great. My kids frequently play a game sneaking up on me while I'm in the office, and they cannot do it now! I have both doors covered and they can't get close.

I have the two PIR's in to the NVR's alarm inputs. Each alarm can be configured to a channel and an action (preset in my case). The camera will be facing the 450 driveway approach, and the SD59 has tracking so it will follow whatever is coming up the driveway. The PIR's on the corners of the barn will cause the camera to swing left or right and look for motion in my intrusion box that I will set up according to the spread/size of the PIR sensor. After 30 - 600 seconds of no activity (unsure yet, tried 45 seconds for testing), the camera will return to the driveway approach. Also have an outdoor mic to alert for sound abnormalities.

Everything has been solid so far. Feel free to ask any other questions. I've been tinkering for a couple hours a night, and even more on weekends learning the NVR/Camera GUI's/menus/actions.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another thing im curious about is what's going to happen when he's outside in front of the barn, let's say cutting the grass or something. I'm Imagining the PTZ picking up the motion of him pulling the mower out of the barn or just driving it past the sensor, then the camera spends the next 3 hours following him mowing the grass....
If he crosses the FOV of the driveway approach, it will follow him. The tracking can be set, like the other settings, anywhere from 30-600 seconds. So the longest it will track is 10 minutes, which will be much longer than necessary for my solution. It will continue to track if the moving object remains in its FOV. It will also track multiple objects in the FOV, like a person and a dog at the same time, even if they are separated but in the frame.

SD