Poor infrared

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hi ya whats wrong with this, the image is a joke and my son looked at the camera.
The installer has said it is because the infrared is so powerful and that is causing the faces to be white and unable to read car registrations at night.
Dahua say it is because the IR is turned off but i cannot find the option on my web browser to turn IR on.

The camera is just above the front door and about a metre or so away from my sons face and about 5 metres from the car reg.

It is quite dark as there is no street lights
What can i do to fix this issue?
This is the camera DH-IPC-HDW4431EMP-ASE 2.8MM 4MP EPOE WDR FIXED EYEBALL NTWRK CAM,2.8MM,IP67,IR | Mayflex
The Camera did not get purchased of the above company it is only for reference purpose's
Thanks

Attachments

Heire

n3wb
Reaction score
Your installer is partly right, the IR is turned on cause the car plates are overexposed.
It might be too strong but you should be able to adapt it in the gui or it is fixed depending on the model.
For the rest you'll have to play with the settings to improve the view during night

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi please can you send me some instructions on how to adjust the settings i need to adjust?
Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hi ya whats wrong with this, the image is a joke and my son looked at the camera.
The installer has said it is because the infrared is so powerful and that is causing the faces to be white and unable to read car registrations at night.
Dahua say it is because the IR is turned off but i cannot find the option on my web browser to turn IR on.

The camera is just above the front door and about a metre or so away from my sons face and about 5 metres from the car reg.

It is quite dark as there is no street lights
What can i do to fix this issue?
This is the camera DH-IPC-HDW4431EMP-ASE 2.8MM 4MP EPOE WDR FIXED EYEBALL NTWRK CAM,2.8MM,IP67,IR | Mayflex
The Camera did not get purchased of the above company it is only for reference purpose's
Thanks
A couple of things, you will need to adjust the settings to solve your sons face, that is motion blur more than IR whiteout.
You need to increase the shutter speed.
You have the cam mounted too high.
You need to dedicate a camera to license plate captures.
Make sure SmartIR is turned on in the camera.
Read the LPR subject area of this forum and the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The camera is above the front door about 10 foot up.
Thw rest i dont understand that much but will read the wiki thing.
Thanks

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've just checked the next nights footage and we had the outside wall light turned on.
its not very bright but this time you can make out his face but not the car reg.
The cameras were supposed to be 6Mp and not 4 MP so thats being sorted.
the cameras are the same spec just 6 MP.
Thanks

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've just checked the next nights footage and we had the outside wall light turned on.
its not very bright but this time you can make out his face but not the car reg.
Thanks
The higher the megapixel, the worse it will do at night.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I thought a IP 6MP cameras will be better thats why i ordered them. :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks
Hi GT60,

You will have the option once you start to tune the camera to either see
1) The license plate
2) everything else.

If you need to see plates at night, plan to dedicate a camera just for that, as looney2ns notes you will want to check out the license plate reader section.

You may want to pick up a 2MP Dahua OEM starlight camera to assist with a better night time / low light images.

Hi GT60, a 6MP camera is still a good camera - but better in the day time than at night.

If you need better low light cameras definitely pick up a couple of the Dahua OEM 2MP starlights.

No need to get rid of the 6MP ones - just mix up your views to maximize what you need to cover.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Check out the review of the 2MP Starlight model:
Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

Starlight models are about the best you can get for the price when it comes to doing well at night. As good as they are, it can still be difficult with them when it comes to reading license plates at night. Often times to read a reflective license plate at night, you have to change the camera settings in such a matter that the only thing the camera sees well are reflective license plates. Everything else will look really dark.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
The most important thing is to reconise face's coming to my door.
I am getting a brighter wall light and do some more reading with whats been suggested.
The road is very narrow anyway and with cars parked you're not going to see reg plates, so i dont know why i was getting hung up on that.
Thanks again

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.
The most important thing is to reconise face's coming to my door.
I am getting a brighter wall light and do some more reading with whats been suggested.
The road is very narrow anyway and with cars parked you're not going to see reg plates, so i dont know why i was getting hung up on that.
Thanks again
Hi GT60,

If you want faces coming to the door, you will need to mount the camera significantly lower... maybe about 2M high ( USA measurement 6-8 feet high is preferred )

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick question whats the difference between the ones I've got now DH-IPC-HDW4431EMP-ASE 2.8MM 4MP EPOE WDR FIXED EYEBALL NTWRK CAM,2.8MM,IP67,IR | Mayflex
and the star light camera?
and can i get it in the Uk?
Thanks for all your help
Hi GT60,

Remember to check out the cliff notes - lots of good info there on this topic, as well as various cameras.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

Also, once you can ID the camera models you like be certain to check here in ipct for possible reviews from various members.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is a typical Newbie mistake...we all pretty much started this way brother; ignorant. Ask me about my 5MP ACTi E33 (Hint: actually please don't ask...it truly suQs...and that's suQage with a "Q" brother, which is profound and deeply disturbing suQology.)

Last edited:

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A couple of things, you will need to adjust the settings to solve your sons face, that is motion blur more than IR whiteout.
You need to increase the shutter speed.
You have the cam mounted too high.
You need to dedicate a camera to license plate captures.
Make sure SmartIR is turned on in the camera.
Read the LPR subject area of this forum and the cliff notes in the wiki at the top of the page.
HI how do I adjust the shutter speed and make sure the Smart IR is turned on?
Could you give me step by step instructions please?
Thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Could you give me step by step instructions please?
Masses of info on how to configure for LPR in the LPR thread. But if you really want to do LPR you'll need a dedicated camera, as the needed settings won't work for 'normal' use.
make sure the Smart IR is turned on?
Check out the web GUI configuration pages in the camera.

GT60

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks
I have decided to scrap the LPR idea and just concentrate on faces coming to my door.
I live in a terrace house so the footpath is only 2.5 metres max from my door
What is GUI?
When you say in the camera do you mean the instruction manual for the camera?
sorry but I am only learning all this

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score