port forwarding for ip camera necessary?

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Been getting issues port forwarding for instance if i open port 805 on my router and have it go to the ip of my camera and go to a site like canyouseeme it says that port is not open.

Why is that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Been getting issues port forwarding for instance if i open port 85 on my router and go to a site like canyouseeme it says that port is not open.

Why is that?
port forwarding is a huge security risk...use vpn..search this forum

C0m4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You shouldn't mess with ports below 1024 unless you know what you are doing.

As per additional security via VPN - it is nice as long as customers are willing to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You shouldn't mess with ports below 1024 unless you know what you are doing.

As per additional security via VPN - it is nice as long as customers are willing to pay for it.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk
Port number is meaningless... Above or below 1024 makes no difference....
VPN is free on most consumer routers...

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The is for only one camera no PC only a router and modem. Nothing else gets used on this network.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I see the write up about VPN but once you turn it on in the router how do you pull up a camera with a IOS app.

BTW i also use blue iris at my home and do not have port fowarding on expect for blue iris.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I see the write up about VPN but once you turn it on in the router how do you pull up a camera with a IOS app.

BTW i also use blue iris at my home and do not have port fowarding on expect for blue iris.
you would need to use a vpn client on your phone...i think ios has one built in..there are threads that discuss this.

Tazz 316

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will keep looking then.

Am i right with blue iris you only have to use port fwd to it instead of each camera that you have? So it would be a little safer,