Port scanner shows it open

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I got BI up and running with a pass through from my ISP to my router, set a static ip on the pc and forwarded port 81 from the router to BI for remote viewing. OpenVPN is also set up.

My question is that when I run a scan on all ports online, 81 comes up as open. I just want to make sure that's ok. When I opened it I specified it to be open to PC's static IP.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't need to forward the BI port if you are connecting via VPN .

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh. I only did so because it prompted me during the remote viewing wizard.

So if I close 81 and just run to my LAN through my vpn I should be good to go from outside the network?

Still learning, obviously.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just removed the port forward and, even with the VPN connected, the blue iris app now won't connect. Says check server address.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Just removed the port forward and, even with the VPN connected, the blue iris app now won't connect. Says check server address.
Then you improperly setup your vpn. Ensure you disconnect from your home wifi when testing the vpn connection. Port forwarding makes your vpn useless.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently on my LTE network. I'll review the settings

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You definitely don't want to forward any ports. I remember from the other thread you have an ASUS router. If you go to the OpenVPN page while your phone is connected (via the cell network), you should see "connected" for the account on that device. At that point you know your are inside the home lan via vpn. Do you see that indication?

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I do see it connected on the router while I'm off wifi and connected to the cell network.

OpenVPN also shows a good connection as well from my phone.

I do notice that when attempting to remote view with the app, it attempts to contact port 81 (it's after my IP's). Should that be happening?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think that would depend on how you have the Webserver in BI configured. Check the tab in BI and see if port 81 is set for lan access.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I do see it connected on the router while I'm off wifi and connected to the cell network.

OpenVPN also shows a good connection as well from my phone.

I do notice that when attempting to remote view with the app, it attempts to contact port 81 (it's after my IP's). Should that be happening?
ensure you enter the LOCAL ip in both the wan and lan fields in the BI app.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It appears that it is. I can edit it to an integer in the port selection but not with the IP's.

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@fenderman you got it. That fixed it. Thank you VERY much. It's strange that the BI app, when you look up the key, would auto populate the wrong information. I'm assuming it's because I'm running a passthrough?

@NoloC good looking out and walking me through it. It's very much appreciated. You guys are awesome.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman you got it. That fixed it. Thank you VERY much. It's strange that the BI app, when you look up the key, would auto populate the wrong information. I'm assuming it's because I'm running a passthrough?

@NoloC good looking out and walking me through it. It's very much appreciated. You guys are awesome.
Its not pulling the wrong info. The key is only needed for port forwarding. It works like a quasi ddns service.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score

It's populating your global ip but since you aren't port forwarding and are connecting via VPN it won't work proplery. If you don't have a dedicated ip address look into ipct ddns and BIT

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its not pulling the wrong info. The key is only needed for port forwarding. It works like a quasi ddns service.
Makes sense. I didn't realize that's what it was doing.

It's populating your global ip but since you aren't port forwarding and are connecting via VPN it won't work proplery. If you don't have a dedicated ip address look into ipct ddns and BIT
I gotcha. I can see why people would be tempted to port forward, it's super easy. I had a feeling it wasn't correct though after all I've read on this forum, that's why I wanted to make sure.

I'll definitely look into those. Plan on checking out BIT and those options this weekend.