Ports blocked from ISP?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I’m on vacation at my in laws and have a strange situation. My cameras work fine over LTE on my cell phone connected to my VPN at home but when I’m on the WiFi at my in laws I can’t access my cameras even though I’ve connected to my VPN at my house (TLS on port 443)

Their ISP is centurylink and I have control over their router and settings etc. I’ve tried to forward ports 443 to my cell phone as well as set my internal ip as DMZ host to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions?

As a side note I’m also having issues connecting to my Real VNC on a local ip address once I’m connected to the VPN also. This tells me that their ISP is somehow blocking the ports I need but I’m unsure how to proceed. I can call their isp and ask to unblock ports but I’m unsure which ones I would require for a Dahua NVR 5216-4ks2 Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is possible to block outbound VPN connections. There's usually a VPN passthrough setting, but I don't think that's your issue.

I suspect the problem lies in whether local devices remain accessible when you're connected to the VPN. Most likely, both home networks are using the same ip addressing scheme and you've got your client set so that the local (in-laws) network remains accessible.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @tangent 's statement "... Most likely, both home networks are using the same ip addressing scheme."

If their router's LAN IP is in the same subnet as your LAN at home since you " have control over their router and settings", you've got nothing to lose by changing THEIR router's LAN IP to a different subnet (which includes its DHCP pool) and trying that out.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks tangent. Yes both home networks are on the 192.168.1.* number schemes. Both have 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway. I'm not sure what the solution might be to help alleviate it. When I use my vpn on my laptop notebook (windows 7) I can use SmartPss and it will find my NVR at 192.168.1.214 without a problem (although I do have to right click on it and "login" which I don't normally have to do when I'm home).

The weirder part is that I can browse all 4 of my network drives using my laptop as well through "my computer" like there's no problem at all.

Edit: Just saw TonyR's reply above after I posted. He and I must have been replying at the same time. Will take a look at their LAN config. Thanks everyone.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's pretty common that by default when you connect to a VPN you loose access to your LAN. In this case I don't think that's happening and I don't remember where the setting is that controls that. Changing the in laws ip addressing scheme to a different private subnet is the easiest.