POS Arrested and another one going down

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I posted some pictures of cameras i put on my light pole in front of my house some months ago. Since installing them, i've had some serious action on my street. Most exciting was some POS breaking into my house (going through doggie door) and stealing items from the side of my house as well as spending 3 minutes in my house taking purse/camera/other items. The police have been able to use the video (they were glad to see great quality video for once!) to identify the POS and he's now in jail facing a 15 year jail sentence. He's an illegal Mexican POS with priors of 2 vehicle thefts as well as one conviction of threatening someone with a deadly weapon...JOY. Little POS is 5' tall and 100 lbs and is linked to 12 other burglaries where he goes through a doggie door.

Here's the link to the action, he's there for 40+ minutes, taking things to his car (and locking it in between): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gtscr8vdqy1qie8/AADKUzGjXh6AACNhd0pmxQCfa?dl=0

In one video clip, you'll see him put his gun on a ladder...

More recently, here's a video of another POS stealing a blower down the street from me. The Huisun PTZ I have zoomed in for license plates did great, capturing the plate number well enough to get the numbers. I'm waiting on hearing back from the cops but the love the video as well as the plate number...they are tickled to have the info...and so am I!

Here's the link to the action: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ix9fj7t5fzwk4d5/AACoNO9HwVwrf83U7c8maYPQa?dl=0

So, if anyone thinks you are paranoid and thinks these cameras don't work, have them visit this post. Not to mention there was an earlier post where they helped nab another would-be robber. And no, I don't live in Detroit, and not in a bad neighborhood...

:cool:

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple things I've learned talking to the cops and dealing with this... Having motion sensor lights are a must. Also, 2.8MM cameras that are mounted high and away from potential POS subjects aren't going to capture the quality pics you need. Mount them low and zoom in as much as you can to the subject area. you can always have a fisheye camera that sees what happened, but you need a camera to get details...

rmw85

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Glad to hear cameras are useful catching some bad guys. Im trying to find the sweet spots with camera and BI to get better captures. If nothing happens i probably miss alot of stuff. Im hoping to catch more door checkers to turn over to the police.

Also id rather walk downtown detroit than houston. ;)

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My latest install I used two 2.8mm cams and the rest 4mm. The customer and I are really pleased with the outcome. I think I'm going to go with more 4mm lenses. They provide a tighter clearer image to me.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Motion lights are a must. I'm used to the lights that are supposed to be off so if a light is on it catches my eye

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Motion lights are a must. I'm used to the lights that are supposed to be off so if a light is on it catches my eye
I agree! I prefer white light over ir anyday! I'm going to try a new fixture sold at home depot. It's made by Defiant. It's a dual head led 180 degree fixture for about 60.00.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Defiant brand is a waste of money I had 3 installed and all of them crapped out after a a year use. Btw Costco has led flood light which is cheaper.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have a Costco but I have a Sam's Club close.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't have a Costco but I have a Sam's Club close.
Sams club does sell flood light brand is HoneyWell I been thinking of getting one or two of the new LED barn light for my driveway and lit it all night long. HoneyWell also offer motion detect LED lamps as well too. I am not sure how good it is but you can look it up on Amazon review and see what other said about it ..

Barn LED - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/security-light-outdoor/prod12250342.ip

Motion detect LED - http://www.samsclub.com/sams/security-light-2-hea-outdoor-floods/prod14160128.ip

I have not tried either brand so I suggest doing further review on it. I did review on the Barn LED and folks said it give good coverage it if mounted on a very high pole so it not something you want to mount like 10 feet. Probably need to be at least 20 feet or more to get good light spread with it. Lots of folk were complaining poor light area but they would be mounting it on the soffit etc. which is not very high up.

Bill

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you had 3 of a certain brand fail after a year, why in the world would you want something "cheaper"??

mik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would suggest an alarm system.
Alarm system installed. 2GIG system. I think the motion lights are the biggest bang for the buck. I'm pissed i didn't have something already set up. I think that would have sent him away like roaches to light.

Re @rmw85 Houston vs Detroit, have fun in Detroit. In Houston you can at least arm yourself walking down the street...and many many do.

Last edited by a moderator:

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try adding an external speaker or siren with a siren driver. Much louder than the little 2gig speaker on the panel.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if the cameras didnt scare him off what makes you think motion lights would?

most wont flinch.. they know a person is not behind the light switch

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I`m with Nayr. Most won`t care that a light came on. They see the motion light and don`t worry about it. Door checkers around here seem to prefer the car of mine that`s under the streetlight and close to two lights mounted on the house. Another car has less ambient light (farther from the streetlight) but still has some dusk to dawn light on it and an LED motion floodlight. All kinds of people will shoplift when they know the store has cameras around, and those`re the ones who don`t put on a mask. I`ve never seen a car prowler here with a mask though. Most use the I`m not doing anything excuse, along with That`s my GPS and three iPhones. With no mask, most folks will just drive by someone walking around at night unless they`re acting suspiciously like hiding.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I disagree, motion light maybe didn't scare this person, but will scare another one, every bit of security helps. As a matter of fact motion light would scare more often then having a security cameras which sometimes either ignored or goes unnoticed or worse, could actually attract people as someone mentioned in another post. They thought it was crack house.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
of the more than half dozen prowlers I have chased off thus far, I observed 1 react to the lights coming on.. they glanced in the direction of the door and then went back on there merry way.

on the other hand, when I came flying out of the front door swinging a baseball bat, I got 100% of them to run off like little bitches.

Motion Lights just give em enough lighting they can work in comfort, instead of having to pull out a flashlight and attract some real attention.. the lighting is great for the cameras, but does absolutely nothing to keep you secure.

best case is it MIGHT startle the teenager who's afraid of getting caught, but once he broken into a dozen cars and has the experience most do he'll ignore em and act natural like all the rest.. because thats how you prowl.. if your all jumpy and suspicious looking late at night you wont last very long.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
on the other hand, when I came flying out of the front door swinging a baseball bat, I got 100% of them to run off like little bitches.
Wow, that could be a costly mistake, you are lucky they didn't attack you or worse shot you. If you think that a baseball bat gives you a sense of security, think again... It may work in any other country where guns are not allowed, but not in the US...

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Car prowlers tend to be the cowards and beginners/lower end of the thief world. Eventually the odds might introduce a gun into the equation though.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Car prowlers tend to be the cowards and beginners/lower end of the thief world. Eventually the odds might introduce a gun into the equation though.
Exactly, as seen on the the OPs video. Good luck with the bat swinging there...