Possible bug with Firewall wizzard in v4.1.0.0

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After updating to v4.1.0.0 x64 bit, I tried out the new firewall wizard in Options -> web server. After doing so, I was not able to access BI webserver from outside my network. It worked fine from inside the LAN. It is possible, that I did something wrong during the wizard steps and selecting "Update rule" broke it. At the end of the wizard steps, Blue Iris crashed.

After doing this, I was not able to edit any of the programs that I allowed through the Windows firewall. The Change button in Windows Allowed programs was greyed out.

I was able to fix the problem by going into Advanced Settings of Windows Firewall and deleting the 2 rules created by the BI firewall wizard under Inbound rules. After restarting BI, I clicked "Allow access" to the Windows Security Alert for Blueiris.exe. This resolved everything. Now both LAN and WAN remote access works fine.

I should state that remote access was working fine before the update. It was my curiosity with the wizard that most likely caused the problem. In any case, it appears that the BI firewall wizard needs some more fine tuning and proves if it isn't broke don't touch it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Could be a problem - I have not downloaded the latest myself so I can't confirm. Perhaps a quick email to BI to let him know you might have found the problem?

Mr-Gizmo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It turned out that Blue Iris wasn't detecting the correct Remote, external (WAN/Internet) address because I did not have "Check dynamic IP automatically at startup" selected in BI -> Options -> Web server. It had my old WAN address. This is what caused a problem during the Remote access Wizard. After clicking the Refresh button by Remote, external (WAN/Internet) access, it picked up the correct WAN address and the Remote access wizard worked properly. Make sure that check the box called "Check dynamic IP automatically at startup, and again every 10 min".