Possible dumb question about using Axis V-rated indoor cameras outdoors?

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but I was thinking of installing one of my V-rated Axis indoor cameras outside. I know it's not "VE" rated and so it's not weather proof or as beefy as the "E" cameras, but it still seems pretty tough, and if I choose a spot under a covered porch area where rain will never hit it, do you think it would be safe enough? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but I was thinking of installing one of my V-rated Axis indoor cameras outside. I know it's not "VE" rated and so it's not weather proof or as beefy as the "E" cameras, but it still seems pretty tough, and if I choose a spot under a covered porch area where rain will never hit it, do you think it would be safe enough? Or is that a bad idea? Thanks for your help!
It will probably be fine but may be more likely to develop condensation inside.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It will probably be fine but may be more likely to develop condensation inside.
Ahhh, I didn't think of that. Things can get very humid around here too. So there's some risk factors I have to consider.

Do you think if the camera does develop condensation that it might short out or damage the camera? Or worse yet my network hardware?

I'd probably be willing to test the idea out on one of my cheaper cameras, but I'd rather not ruin perfectly good hardware. I'd also prefer not to have to buy a "VE" rated Axis camera right now if I can avoid it!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhh, I didn't think of that. Things can get very humid around here too. So there's some risk factors I have to consider.

Do you think if the camera does develop condensation that it might short out or damage the camera? Or worse yet my network hardware?

I'd probably be willing to test the idea out on one of my cheaper cameras, but I'd rather not ruin perfectly good hardware. I'd also prefer not to have to buy a "VE" rated Axis camera right now if I can avoid it!
It wont damage anything. Perhaps just some dielectric grease on the ethernet connection...
Based on your other post it appears you are buying old axis cams. I hope you are getting them for really cheap otherwise you are getting screwed.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you are on BI there is no reason to stay married to Axis if it fails LOL.

You can get comparable or better for the money with other brands.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It wont damage anything. Perhaps just some dielectric grease on the ethernet connection...
Based on your other post it appears you are buying old axis cams. I hope you are getting them for really cheap otherwise you are getting screwed.
Haha! Yep, I figured I had two separate questions for two threads, but you are correct, I picked up some old Axis cameras, and yes, thankfully, I got them for dirt cheap. Irresistibly cheap.

They don't have all the fancy features of some newer gen cameras from other brands of course, but they are adequate for the job. I'm pretty low tech when it comes to what I need. And I do like the build quality of Axis. We'll see how much more life they have. I figured at these prices, it was a no-brainer to try them out. And if they fail soon, then it's not too much of a hit.

As for potentially damaging a "V" rated camera outdoors, or damaging my network, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll probably take a stab at it, and see how it goes. I think I should have one extra camera I could sacrifice to the surveillance gods and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People have used cheap $50 indoor cameras outside in a similar situation to yours and goes for years, so I would think Axis would be a better build quality and would last longer.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since you are on BI there is no reason to stay married to Axis if it fails LOL.

You can get comparable or better for the money with other brands.
Indeed, yes, i'm not married to Axis, although I do like them. I'm also a fan of making things last, so I've got no problem buying older/used cameras if they still work great. And if I can get a good deal too, why not?

And since the build quality of these Axis "V" cameras is really good, I thought I'd see if it was a dumb idea to try one outdoors.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
People have used cheap $50 indoor cameras outside in a similar situation to yours and goes for years, so I would think Axis would be a better build quality and would last longer.
Yep, the build quality is precisely why I posted the question. Good to know about those $50 cameras outside working well for some folks. So I think I'm going to give it a shot!

Thanks again, guys!

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yep, the build quality is precisely why I posted the question. Good to know about those $50 cameras outside working well for some folks. So I think I'm going to give it a shot!

Thanks again, guys!
I've used a cheap Amcrest indoor ptz IP4M-1051 under a covered porch in my backyard for 3 years with no problem.

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've used a cheap Amcrest indoor ptz IP4M-1051 under a covered porch in my backyard for 3 years with no problem.
Good to know, thank you! Impressive that it's been treating you so well for 3 years! Gives me a bit more confidence that my experiment with my Axis will work out okay. Cheers!