Postal truck vs basketball hoop

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Funny. Good luck with it. From dealing with the USPS a lot I'd suggest trying to stay as local as possible to start. Contact the local Postmaster for your area. Stay out of the larger USPS system if you can. Once there you're into the USPS Borg and it's pretty much a long, hopeless journey through systems that don't address your complaint and people who don't give a damn.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What a doofus. Even after he (possibly?) hears something he looks out and down his right window, never checks left mirror or ESPECIALLY the top rear blind spot child-lookout mirror that hooked the hoop in the first place. Here's the clincher to me: If he had knocked someone down he would have likely backed over them for God's sake! He should have exited the vehicle and looked before backing up.

I'm with @Mike A. regarding local handling, his supervisor needs to have a closed-door butt chewing session with him. Sure, it was an accident but the driver needs to be more careful....we could be reading someone's obit right now and his life and the lives of your family or someone's family could be changed forever in a terrible way. :(

Thanks for sharing!

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Funny. Good luck with it. From dealing with the USPS a lot I'd suggest trying to stay as local as possible to start. Contact the local Postmaster for your area. Stay out of the larger USPS system if you can. Once there you're into the USPS Borg and it's pretty much a long, hopeless journey through systems that don't address your complaint and people who don't give a damn.
Gonna give the local office a call tomorrow.

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm more surprised that that mirror on the back took the weight of a basketball hoop, they didn't mess around when mounting that thing. (I'm assuming the hoop was weighted down)
About 200lbs of sand in the base. He definitely felt it when he backed up. It’s mostly rolled on the wheels when he dragged it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I like my USPS people. I have them well trained. Keep that crap out of their way.
Yeah, probably best. Look at that big, black front bumper...looks like ones on the electric Dodge'em cars we used to ride in the Fifties at the Southeastern Fair at Lakewood Park in Atlanta (where Bandit delivered the Coors beer). Ah, the smell of ozone as the DC catenary sparked across the metal ceiling!

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just wondering why he needs to go down your driveway.... Is your mailbox there? Was he dropping a package off at your front door?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Perhaps the USPS driver was thinking that he was doing the customer a favor by pushing the hoop out of the way :p

Reaction score
Yeah it was an accident, just leave a letter for him in the mail box, a cheap flash drive with the footage on it and tell him you know it was an accident and ask if he could help you replace. Sometimes nice goes a long way. Just drop the letter in their and raise up the flag. address it to ;My Mail Carrier, the other day you accidentally ran into my basketball goal while dropping off a package. You do a great job delivering here and i appreciate it. I was wondering if you could help me replace the basketball goal. The price is X and if you could pay half i would appreciate it. The flash drive is just a video of the incident. Thanks again and stay safe. He might say go to hell but you never know until you try it. Thanks for sharing the video.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I had a similar experience way back in 2006. I know, I know, quality sucks - but it was entirely analog, and better than most residential systems at the time...

My brother is a postmaster in another state. When I sent him my video he said I should contact the local POM (post office manager) and ask if the carrier had hit any trashcans. If the carrier denied it, send video to POM and let them handle it. As it turned out, that's exactly what happened... Carrier denied hitting any cans, and when the POM confronted her about it, her first words were, "I want my union rep". She was a contracted carrier, and after a couple week unpaid vacation, was reassigned to another post office (POM said she couldn't trust her any more).

Point is, sometimes the cover-up is worse than the event itself. My video reveals a dangerously frustrated driver - which puts the community at risk. Someone that upset with her job needs to deescalate before someone gets hurt.

As to your video, I'm guessing there was an element of frustration with the carrier was well. After a while (according to my brother), things like that become personal... every obstacle is put there on purpose.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This is proof that CCTV has come a long way :lol:
I had a similar experience way back in 2006. I know, I know, quality sucks - but it was entirely analog, and better than most residential systems at the time...

My brother is a postmaster in another state. When I sent him my video he said I should contact the local POM (post office manager) and ask if the carrier had hit any trashcans. If the carrier denied it, send video to POM and let them handle it. As it turned out, that's exactly what happened... Carrier denied hitting any cans, and when the POM confronted her about it, her first words were, "I want my union rep". She was a contracted carrier, and after a couple week unpaid vacation, was reassigned to another post office (POM said she couldn't trust her any more).

Point is, sometimes the cover-up is worse than the event itself. My video reveals a dangerously frustrated driver - which puts the community at risk. Someone that upset with her job needs to deescalate before someone gets hurt.

As to your video, I'm guessing there was an element of frustration with the carrier was well. After a while (according to my brother), things like that become personal... every obstacle is put there on purpose.