Potential Setup - Let's geek out here! Please help me see if I'm missing anything

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

If you don’t mind, please sanity-check me here. I’ve been doing a lot of research but it will surely not match everyone’s expertise on this awesome forum, which is why we’re all here right? :cool:

Also, I apologize in advance for the long post and my lack of experience but if you can please look this over and let me know where I can improve or make changes, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Here’s my potential setup, all LTS at this point.

NVR - LTN8716-P16 -- I’ll add 2x WD Purples to this for saving local.

So far I’m up to 7 cams but I will be adding more so I want the ability to expand to 16 channels (inside cams, etc.)

Here’s a couple shots of the house from Google Earth.

**For everything here I’m up for recommendations on placement(angles, total moves), or camera type etc., please**

*All the cams I chose below are WDR 120db*

Overhead Shot:

• RED (1) – CMIP9743W-SZ (Varifocal Motorized Lens Bullet 2.8 – 12mm)to allow me to zoom closer to the street to catch license plates clearly, if ever necessary. I thought about a PTZ but I didn’t want to terrify the neighbors too much. **Just to confirm, is this lens controlled by the NVR electronically or is it a "set it when you install manually or electronically" and not remote?)
  • Yellow’s (x3) – CMIP3042W (Fixed Lens Turret Camera 4mm lens) *Second story under the eaves* Matrix IR Turrets for overall viewing coverage (I want to make sure I cover the sides of the house and windows as well as our shed out back.
  • Green’s (x3) – CMIP7442W-28M (4.1MP Fixed Lens Dome Camera 2.8mm lens)Domes for the front porch(see fancy “paint” diagram below), back patio(I want to make sure we watch the sliding door and patio under the cover) and inside the garage(that is not a cam over the garage, it’s for inside to get a view of our vehicles) I plan to setup motion alerts to go insane if anything changes in there (door open, etc.)
    • Also, idea, can I run a microphone for these front porch, garage and back patio cams, separately (or what is your best recommendation for that?) I see there is a dome with varifocus and mic built in but the cost increase is a huge difference – are mics easy to add and do you see any issues doing so with the NVR above?
Cam Placement.jpg

Front Shot (showing porch coverage)

• I wanted to give you a street level view of the Red, Yellow, and Green cams. The Green porch cam will, potentially, be mounted in the far top left corner of the ceiling as close to the wall as I can to the windows. I want to ensure I get a shot of anyone approaching the porch, potentially hiding behind that post, packages being left, or anyone at my front door (profile shot is probably the best I can do here... ideas?)
Cam Placement 2.jpg

Porch diagram-of-amazingness (see fancy “paint” image)

• Hopefully this gives you a better idea of where I was thinking of placing the Vandal-Proof Dome
Front Porch.jpg

Straight on Front Shot

• You can better see the potential placement of the other Yellow Turret here looking down the side yard.
Cam Placement 3.jpg

As for the networking:

Currently we just have our “Wireless Gateway(WG)*It’s a modem and 4port router*” that comes with our internet service. Are you able to just setup the NVR, like this?

Internet -->> WG -->> NVR -->> Cams

Or do we need a Switch and or Router, like this?

Internet -->> WG -->> NVR -->> Switch/Router (PoE here too?) -->> Cams

The 300ft wiring max distance is not an issue and I’ve seen several diagrams of setups online so I just wanted to get your advice on the best possible setup/recommendations here.
The way I’m thinking, we add a new and much more powerful N router(we don’t have N at this time and want to go to that for the house) after the WG and then go into a Cisco switch etc., if necessary. Let me know if I’m totally off base here.

So besides the networking questions above and getting the Cat6 to run to these cams – am I missing anything here? I know we may need some brackets/junction boxes etc. But am I overthinking this and forgetting anything?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Re: Potential Setup - Let's geek out here! Please help me see if I'm missing anythin

You should be able to plug all your cameras into your NVR, thats the way I would go for home use.

I also would use junction boxes for the outside of your house so you don't have to make a huge hole in the side. Just a hole for the cat6 cable and some screw holes.

Good luck :)

I have 2 different kind of LTS cameras on my house and installed a few of their NVRS. Good cameras and service. Love the different kind of cameras vs Dahua.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Re: Potential Setup - Let's geek out here! Please help me see if I'm missing anythin

@Alphax
Hey Everyone,

If you don’t mind, please sanity-check me here. I’ve been doing a lot of research but it will surely not match everyone’s expertise on this awesome forum, which is why we’re all here right? :cool:

Also, I apologize in advance for the long post and my lack of experience but if you can please look this over and let me know where I can improve or make changes, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Here’s my potential setup, all LTS at this point.

NVR - LTN8716-P16 -- I’ll add 2x WD Purples to this for saving (Great NVR wth a lot of features and easy to configure)

So far I’m up to 7 cams but I will be adding more so I want the ability to expand to 16 channels (inside cams, etc.)

Here’s a couple shots of the house from Google Earth.

**For everything here I’m up for recommendations on placement(angles, total moves), or camera type etc., please**

*All the cams I chose below are WDR 120db*

Overhead Shot:

• RED (1) – CMIP9743W-SZ (Varifocal Motorized Lens Bullet 2.8 – 12mm)to allow me to zoom closer to the street to catch license plates clearly, if ever necessary. I thought about a PTZ but I didn’t want to terrify the neighbors too much. **Just to confirm, is this lens controlled by the NVR electronically or is it a "set it when you install manually or electronically" and not remote? This is an electronic zoom so it will be controlled via the software, not manually outside. It appears you have a street light in your front yard, that will great assist in your lighting at night. I don't know that you will be able to utilize this camera for LP readings as you would most likely need more then 12mm zoom - daytime possibly will work, but most likely not at night. Also consider this might be a waste. Depending on your angle of the camera you can only zoom straight in and out - without the tilt or zoom you will be very limited. By no means am i recommending a PTZ unless you really think you need it, however you might just want to consider another 4mm cam to give you overall coverage view, however if you want this and will point it more toward your drive way so when you zoom you are closing in on the driveway and when you zoom out you are getting a large driveway/yard view, go for it.
  • Yellow’s (x3) – CMIP3042W (Fixed Lens Turret Camera 4mm lens) *Second story under the eaves* Matrix IR Turrets for overall viewing coverage (I want to make sure I cover the sides of the house and windows as well as our shed out back. This will work, possibly consider the large bullet style with the double matrix IR for additional night IR coverage. http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-camera/ip-bullet/ip-network-bullet-camera-cmip9142w.html
  • Green’s (x3) – CMIP7442W-28M (4.1MP Fixed Lens Dome Camera 2.8mm lens)Domes for the front porch(see fancy “paint” diagram below), back patio(I want to make sure we watch the sliding door and patio under the cover) and inside the garage(that is not a cam over the garage, it’s for inside to get a view of our vehicles) I plan to setup motion alerts to go insane if anything changes in there (door open) Solid choice IMO, however consider the Turret/Matrix IR for INSIDE the garage, I feel you have better and more even IR coverage in a pitch black environment like a garage.
    • Also, idea, can I run a microphone for these front porch, garage and back patio cams, separately (or what is your best recommendation for that?) I see there is a dome with varifocus and mic built in but the cost increase is a huge difference – are mics easy to add and do you see any issues doing so with the NVR above? Sorry I can't speak to this, when a microphone is needed I have always purchase cameras with that feature integrated.
View attachment 6917

Front Shot (showing porch coverage)

• I wanted to give you a street level view of the Red, Yellow, and Green cams. The Green porch cam will, potentially, be mounted in the far top left corner of the ceiling as close to the wall as I can to the windows. I want to ensure I get a shot of anyone approaching the porch, potentially hiding behind that post, packages being left, or anyone at my front door (profile shot is probably the best I can do here... ideas?)
View attachment 6918

Porch diagram-of-amazingness (see fancy “paint” image)

• Hopefully this gives you a better idea of where I was thinking of placing the Vandal-Proof Dome
View attachment 6919

Straight on Front Shot

• You can better see the potential placement of the other Yellow Turret here looking down the side yard.
View attachment 6920

As for the networking:
Currently we just have our “Wireless Gateway(WG)*It’s a modem and 4port router*” that comes with our internet service. Are you able to just setup the NVR, like this?

Internet -->> WG -->> NVR -->> Cams (YES)

Or do we need a Switch and or Router, like this?

Internet -->> WG -->> NVR -->> Switch/Router (PoE here too?) -->> Cams ​(No, Over complicating for your setup)
The LTS cameras support "Virtual Host" so you can access the cams directly for configuration/image customization so no need for this setup.

The 300ft wiring max distance is not an issue and I’ve seen several diagrams of setups online so I just wanted to get your advice on the best possible setup/recommendations here.
The way I’m thinking, we add a new and much more powerful N router(we don’t have N at this time and want to go to that for the house) after the WG and then go into a Cisco switch etc., if necessary. Let me know if I’m totally off base here.

Litte over thinking with this part, by adding additional routers or gateways after your initial gateway you can end up in a port forwarding black hole unless setup properly when it comes to remote access. Since all the cams plug directly into the NVR you are already isolating all your video traffic so that it will not interfere with any other packet traffic in your network. Just connect your NVR to an open port on your all in one gateway, then connect all your cams directly to your NVR (It is your POE and switch source).

So besides the networking questions above and getting the Cat6 to run to these cams – am I missing anything here? I know we may need some brackets/junction boxes etc. But am I overthinking this and forgetting anything.

You don't need to have Cat6 in this application unless you want it. Cat5e will be more then sufficient for your needs, just assure you get Cat5e Solid core - do NOT use stranded cable or CCA. Cat6 connectors can also present problems for amateurs (Don't mean anything by this, just a fact) and that is because the cable is slightly thicker and the connectors have an offset inside so Cat5e will be easier to work with. I have shown some examples of products below.

Cable: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=12766
Connectors: http://www.frys.com/product/8045584?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Tool (Great for DIYers because it has the color code on it as reference): http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00F6K5SY2/ref=nosim/ipctk-20

Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
No problem hope this helps.

if you have eves that the cameras will be mounted under you might want to pick up some additional mounting boxes to help drop the cameras a few inches so you don't get IR reflection off the front of the eve. (LTS sells boxes specific to each camera) This won't be an issue with the porches and inside cameras, however depending on the cameras you get for the second story mounts might help. If you do consider some of the large bullets i mentioned above some of them include the additional mounting box.

I think i covered most all questions, sorry on a time crunch and have to run this morning, if I can be of any more assistance let me know. Good Luck man, your off to a great start and putting in the time to assure you do this right the first time!

Cheers!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

zero-degrees gave you solid advice.

I would like to add, regarding your router, now is a little late to be upgrading to 802.11n wifi. My advice is to upgrade to 802.11ac or not at all. If you are happy with your router's wired network performance and features, then in fact you should not replace the router at all. Just disable your old router's wifi and add a wireless access point or two. I myself am waiting for availability to improve on the Ubiquiti UniFi AC Lite (a.k.a. UAP-AC-LITE) before I buy two of them for my house. They are supposed to cost $90 each, more or less, but low stock and high demand currently has them selling for a lot more than that. If you prefer to have fewer devices, you could always go for a new router with 802.11ac built in and replace your old router with that.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You initial plan for deploying cameras is not going to provide you with sufficient coverage of your driveway or the street immediately in front of the driveway. In addition, the camera over the garage (mounted on the 2nd story over the garage?) are -- IMO -- going to be next to useless. It would be a shame to do all that hard work running the cable only to find that some of the placements are wrong.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

@Q2U that placement is inside the garage, not a roof placement :)

Some of the colored lines are a little misleading but they are explained in his breakout. Also those lines are really based on rough ideas, based on some of the lens specs he selected he should have really wide solid "overall" coverage with the exception of direct driveway coverage which you hit on. The main point is that this setup is going to give a really nice overall view, however the only cams that will be solid for "identifying" purposes are the front and back porch cam and garage cam if someone enters the garage. The others are just to view all points of entry and keep a watchful eye it appears. The one plus is he picked all 4mp cameras, so the zoom ability will be there to a point in post capture/download should you want to get closer to an individual. I have a 4mm above my garage on the second story eve and can zoom in post image capture/video download to the street/mailbox 40-50' away and identify a person during daytime hours, night time i'm not going to get facial recognition but thats what the other approach cams are for.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

@Q2U that placement is inside the garage, not a roof placement...Some of the colored lines are a little misleading but they are explained in his breakout...
Explained? Breakout? I look at the pictures Zero.

William Irwin Thompson said:
In this world of information overload, the benumbed citizen no longer reads or thinks; he watches and feels.

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Everyone, you guys rock. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts here.

Also, I apologize for the crudeness of my diagram. All I had was paint to work with and I didn’t make the angles for FoV as accurate as I could have... I was just hoping to give everyone the basic idea.
@zero-degrees -- thanks so much for reviewing and providing the detailed feedback, again. Awesome.

All,

Diving deeper!

Red cam - I'm in a quandary here as I want to get the most out of this overwatch location. I may just go with that PTZ after all -- I like what I've been hearing/reading about the flexibility and I'd love to be able to zoom in on the driveway. @zero-degrees Your idea with the 12mm varifocus to angle more towards the driveway and be able to zoom to capture vehicles then zoom out for an overview is absolutely what I'm looking for. I'm considering that Huisun 10x PTZ even more now - and I'm sure @klasipca would back that idea. Is this the latest and greatest PoE version I should be going for? LINK also, is it safe to use your CC on that site?
or is there any faster methods of acquiring one?

Yellows @zero-degrees the Dbl Matrix IR bullet.. wow, never even thought of that. Awesome idea! I like those cams but you can't even see the IR's.. I guess they are hiding behind that black face? I'll likely do that to improve the IR throw and use that included junction box to bring it down off of the eave, another great recommendation. Do you see any issue with that IR blowout you mentioned with the cam shooting from the back corners -->> front. Would the junction box assist that much looking down the edge of the siding or is there another thing I can try for that? I know if we’re at the end of the eave(looking out into the yard) the j box will make a huge difference so I was just wondering if I’m looking down the length of the house should I tackle that another way?

Greens -- @zero-degrees I may take that advice on the Turret. I only thought I would do a dome in case anyone did get in it would be more durable. However, it won't be commonly approached and if someone is in there, bad things are happening and the clearest IR may be best -- thoughts? Matrix dome? :)

@zero-degrees You are correct on my goal to get great overall coverage but I'd like to increase my identification factor. Do you or anyone else have any recommendations to increase that (besides just the front porch/patio door cams)?
-- Any ideas about tastefully installing a cam for a better front driveway view? I thought about putting something right in the top peak above the garage door but I think it'll stand out like a sore thumb. Not sure how to make this more effective and clean

Porch Cam(see porch diagram-of-amazingness) -- what do you think of my placement and choice of the lens here? Should this be moved at all or am I on the right track?

Networking – @bp2008 and anyone who can chime in -- I may just go with the 802.11ac. To clarify, would I just grab an awesome wireless router and disable the wireless on my WG and let is simply just serve as my internet modem now?

Cabling -- @zero-degrees, thanks again for the recommendations. Once upon a time I did do some significant cabling of CAT5e in college so I still have that crimper still and will def save the difference and go 5e vs. 6. Solid, of course. Thanks!

Thanks again for the advice, everyone. I’d rather think this through and do it right the first time. I’ve fished wires before, and lost tools/bits etc. in the process. I’m just wanting to do the best I can and preserve my sanity… lol

-Cheers

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

Red cam - I'm in a quandary here as I want to get the most out of this overwatch location. I may just go with that PTZ after all -- I like what I've been hearing/reading about the flexibility and I'd love to be able to zoom in on the driveway. @zero-degrees Your idea with the 12mm varifocus to angle more towards the driveway and be able to zoom to capture vehicles then zoom out for an overview is absolutely what I'm looking for. I'm considering that Huisun 10x PTZ even more now - and I'm sure @klasipca would back that idea. Is this the latest and greatest PoE version I should be going for? LINK also, is it safe to use your CC on that site?
I would be careful with a PTZ on the front of the house. The main reason is your lot size is small and with the adjacent house next door and possibly directly across the street a PTZ can give an "Invasion of Privacy" feeling to your every day neighbors especially if it is moving. While it may be zoomed in 55mm or so to catch license plates it can look like you are looking directly in the neighbors window across the street. PTZ's are great and feature rich, just need to assure proper placement. It would definitely accomplish what you want in this location you might just want to consider the "big picture" and sometimes that means also keeping the neighbors feeling comfortable with your new technology. Some here may say "F* the neighbor this is about my security" and they are correct, just a lot of pieces to the puzzle and you have to decide how to put it together.

Yellows @zero-degrees the Dbl Matrix IR bullet.. wow, never even thought of that. Awesome idea! I like those cams but you can't even see the IR's.. I guess they are hiding behind that black face? I'll likely do that to improve the IR throw and use that included junction box to bring it down off of the eave, another great recommendation. Do you see any issue with that IR blowout you mentioned with the cam shooting from the back corners -->> front. Would the junction box assist that much looking down the edge of the siding or is there another thing I can try for that? I know if we’re at the end of the eave(looking out into the yard) the j box will make a huge difference so I was just wondering if I’m looking down the length of the house should I tackle that another way?
The included box with these cameras will get you under the eve. Hard to say on the IR reflection off the side of the house. You'll have to play with it, I can say that you will most likely be able to cover all the area between the two houses and most of your house without any issue, but as you turn it more and more you'll get IR hitting your house and causing a bright spot, however the double IR matrix will help continue to light the entire scene - this will take some trial and error.

Greens -- @zero-degrees I may take that advice on the Turret. I only thought I would do a dome in case anyone did get in it would be more durable. However, it won't be commonly approached and if someone is in there, bad things are happening and the clearest IR may be best -- thoughts? Matrix dome? :) I personally have a matrix in the garage and thats what I always recommend - just personal preference from experience. Also your garage ceilings are at least 8' if not 9' so vandal proof isn't as much of a concern most likely like a porch cam that is within reach at times.

@zero-degrees You are correct on my goal to get great overall coverage but I'd like to increase my identification factor. Do you or anyone else have any recommendations to increase that (besides just the front porch/patio door cams)Increasing identification means higher mm lens install, which then results in smaller coverage areas. If your main points of intrusion are covered well and can provide ID then continue down your path as the other "high level" views will still provide plenty of daytime info like make and model of car, number of additional people, etc while the entry point cams will ID the individual.
-- Any ideas about tastefully installing a cam for a better front driveway view? I thought about putting something right in the top peak above the garage door but I think it'll stand out like a sore thumb. Not sure how to make this more effective and clean.​ I would place a dome to the left or right of the garage under the eve with a junction box to drop it. This will give you street traffic, clear ID drive way activity, and show you anyone on approach.

Porch Cam(see porch diagram-of-amazingness) -- what do you think of my placement and choice of the lens here? Should this be moved at all or am I on the right track? ​Your on the right track here, the only other option would be to run a small conduit all the way down and mount a camera above the top left of the door in that corner so that you get the entire walkway so you get a clear approach shot. While your placement will most likely accomplish what you want if the individual never turns to that corner you might not get a facial shot where above the door you will almost be guaranteed once since you will be walking and looking at that exact location on approach to the door.

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks again, @zero-degrees.

I would be careful with a PTZ on the front of the house. The main reason is your lot size is small and with the adjacent house next door and possibly directly across the street a PTZ can give an "Invasion of Privacy" feeling to your every day neighbors especially if it is moving. While it may be zoomed in 55mm or so to catch license plates it can look like you are looking directly in the neighbors window across the street. PTZ's are great and feature rich, just need to assure proper placement. It would definitely accomplish what you want in this location you might just want to consider the "big picture" and sometimes that means also keeping the neighbors feeling comfortable with your new technology. Some here may say "F* the neighbor this is about my security" and they are correct, just a lot of pieces to the puzzle and you have to decide how to put it together.

Good point, I don't want to cause any extra attention or create animosity. I may just stick with that Varifocus bullet or a regular 4mm turret -- thinking that over now. However, I am thinking of adding that PTZ in the back over in the NE corner under the eave to allow good coverage of the back and the main road behind us. It won't be as noticeable there and shouldn't create any worry from the neighbors. (Blue Star, Red Dot) Thoughts on that?
Cam Placement v2.jpg

-- Any ideas about tastefully installing a cam for a better front driveway view? I thought about putting something right in the top peak above the garage door but I think it'll stand out like a sore thumb. Not sure how to make this more effective and clean.​ I would place a dome to the left or right of the garage under the eve with a junction box to drop it. This will give you street traffic, clear ID drive way activity, and show you anyone on approach.

Are you thinking on the lower eave or up at the peak? Since we're going for discreet at the street side and it will be in the elements (eave is very small under the garage) would a turret to best...? Back to your mention of rain on the domes and it messing up their view. I'd like to have this up there CMIP7243W-SZ on the peak and I could even zoom it if necessary but it would be mounted on an angle at the peak(can the image tilt be corrected if we did this?) and I'd worry about the dome getting all nasty during weather and being nearly useless(peak or under the lower eave, same issue). Plus we'd get mediocre IR w/o the Matrix, right?(our streetlight is almost always out of commissions, sadly) Hmmm... Ok, so I want excellent, close-up shots of the street and driveway but don't want to create neighbor drama with a PTZ. I can do a dome but we have weather to contend with under the small eaves. A turret may work but it can't zoom. What shall we do!? :torn:

(See orange dots for placement)
Cam Placement 4.jpg

Porch Cam(see porch diagram-of-amazingness) -- what do you think of my placement and choice of the lens here? Should this be moved at all or am I on the right track? ​Your on the right track here, the only other option would be to run a small conduit all the way down and mount a camera above the top left of the door in that corner so that you get the entire walkway so you get a clear approach shot. While your placement will most likely accomplish what you want if the individual never turns to that corner you might not get a facial shot where above the door you will almost be guaranteed once since you will be walking and looking at that exact location on approach to the door.

2 cams on the porch... now we're getting nuts. I love it! lol. What's the smallest size conduit can I get away with? schedule 40 is what I'm assuming you're talking about. Since we only need to get a Cat5e cable through, what are you usually using in your professional installs for clean runs? I also have an issue on the back patio getting down from the roof and mounting a cam at the first story level to watch the sliding door(under our patio cover) so I thought I could use the same thing there. (Can't easily fish through the walls since were dealing with a first-->>second story transition) A flexible conduit is what I was thinking I'd need back there. I'm totally open to your ideas here too!

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

@Alphax
Red cam - I'm in a quandary here as I want to get the most out of this overwatch location. I may just go with that PTZ after all -- I like what I've been hearing/reading about the flexibility and I'd love to be able to zoom in on the driveway. @zero-degrees Your idea with the 12mm varifocus to angle more towards the driveway and be able to zoom to capture vehicles then zoom out for an overview is absolutely what I'm looking for. I'm considering that Huisun 10x PTZ even more now

Good point, I don't want to cause any extra attention or create animosity. I may just stick with that Varifocus bullet or a regular 4mm turret -- thinking that over now. However, I am thinking of adding that PTZ in the back over in the NE corner under the eave to allow good coverage of the back and the main road behind us. It won't be as noticeable there and shouldn't create any worry from the neighbors. (Blue Star, Red Dot) Thoughts on that?

PTZ in that location will work great and shouldn't cause any concern or ill feelings from neighbors.

View attachment 6950

Are you thinking on the lower eave or up at the peak? Since we're going for discreet at the street side and it will be in the elements (eave is very small under the garage) would a turret to best...? Back to your mention of rain on the domes and it messing up their view. I'd like to have this up there CMIP7243W-SZ on the peak and I could even zoom it if necessary but it would be mounted on an angle at the peak(can the image tilt be corrected if we did this?) and I'd worry about the dome getting all nasty during weather and being nearly useless(peak or under the lower eave, same issue). Plus we'd get mediocre IR w/o the Matrix, right?(our streetlight is almost always out of commissions, sadly) Hmmm... Ok, so I want excellent, close-up shots of the street and driveway but don't want to create neighbor drama with a PTZ. I can do a dome but we have weather to contend with under the small eaves. A turret may work but it can't zoom. What shall we do!? :torn:

I believe you can accomplish either. If you mount a turret or bullet of any type at the peak the angle won't be an issue as you can adjust the physical camera to compensate for that. Honestly I would just plan on a turret if you go with this option. Most of the domes offered also are 3-axis so you would be able to adjust them physically as well to level the picture out so no software adjustment would be needed either way. As for the lower placement at either corner that is what I was referencing earlier. While I can't see the eve I have placed vandal domes there before without issues and I myself have one there. Below is sorta an example of mine, while I use mine for the yard, you would be moving yours a little more towards the corner and using it for the driveway. Also this picture and image is PRIOR to me installing one of the mounting boxes to drop it the needed distance to clear the eve lip, I have since done that and now have IR on at night - never had an issue with the weather/elements.
front 2.jpg

(See orange dots for placement)
View attachment 6951

2 cams on the porch... now we're getting nuts. I love it! lol. What's the smallest size conduit can I get away with? schedule 40 is what I'm assuming you're talking about. Since we only need to get a Cat5e cable through, what are you usually using in your professional installs for clean runs? I also have an issue on the back patio getting down from the roof and mounting a cam at the first story level to watch the sliding door(under our patio cover) so I thought I could use the same thing there. (Can't easily fish through the walls since were dealing with a first-->>second story transition) A flexible conduit is what I was thinking I'd need back there. I'm totally open to your ideas here too!

You have some options. One idea is since you have vinyl siding you can use the "J" channel to tuck/hide/protect the Cat5e cable at the corners/edge then just take it directly into the box mount where you can connectorize and terminate your connection as well as that will weather protect it. If you do have to use conduit you don't need schedule 40 unless code where you are requires it for ethernet (which i doubt), the box mounts have side ports, simply get a reducer connect it to the smallest conduit you can get and pull the cat5e thought that to the other mounting box, then paint it if you want to the house color to blend it in better. Personally though, for true "clean/professional/high end" installs you do drywall cuts. Basically to accomplish this my guess is you would require 3 drywall cuts 4"x16". One at the top of the second floor - to pull from attic down, one at the bottom of the second floor to drill into lower floor wall cavity, then one more a little large vertically on the first floor high point of the wall to pull the cable down and then drill out. You can try Youtube to see some video examples of what I'm talking about I'm sure they are out there - something like "PUlling wire in from 1st to 2nd floor or somethign of the like.

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks @zero-degrees.

I actually have hardiplank so the wall access holes, inside, may be my best bet. If I don't go with the conduit method I guess I'll get really good at patching and matching texture this winter! :laugh:

Alphax

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

All,

For the rear of my house I'm considering that Huisun 10x PTZ even more now - and I'm sure @klasipca would back that idea. Is this the latest and greatest PoE version I should be going for? LINK also, is it safe to use your CC on that site? :concern: or is there any faster methods of acquiring one?