Power consumption optimisation

hammertym

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All,

So currently I'm running a couple of TP Link devices, a 8 port POE Gigabit switch and an 8 port (4 poe) 10/100 switch.

I'm wondering if moving to an enterprise grade switch would be more efficient or less efficient than consumer grade TP link switches. Power prices are approaching 30c kw/h here, so everything makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr_D

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If anything, the enterprise grade switches will draw more power. I believe my Ubiquiti 24 port non-POE switch (my core switch) draws about 20-25w. My BV Tech 18 port (16 x 10/100 + 2 Gigabit) unmanaged switch for the cameras draws 6w without any cameras.

hammertym

n3wb
Reaction score
If anything, the enterprise grade switches will draw more power. I believe my Ubiquiti 24 port non-POE switch (my core switch) draws about 20-25w. My BV Tech 18 port (16 x 10/100 + 2 Gigabit) unmanaged switch for the cameras draws 6w without any cameras.
I thought that might be the case, but wanted to check. What devices do you have hooked up to it?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have good weather/climate for solar panels, it sounds like they'd be more valuable to you than to most.

Reaction score
Agree with @bp2008 , maybe solar would finally make sense at those electrical rates. With electrical rates hovering around 10c kw/h it's a hard sell, and we even have intense sun and clean energy benefits in Colorado. At triple that rate I'd definitely be looking for options. I have heard some negatives about maintenance and upkeep on the big arrays in areas around here where they got installed, not sure what those upkeep costs are tbh.

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Solar panels there’s no really upkeep cost once installed
More like keeping clean as where we live there is lots of sun and not a lot of rain so each week they need a wash to keep efficient on there output
Once battery costs come down soar systems will be very effective
As the power companies at the moment still have you over the barrel
In making money from your system and then what they charge at night