Power Consumption

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Maybe it would be a good idea to share power consumption figures (and hardware) used of the server you are running BI on ...
I'm running BI on an ESXI configuration and am hovering around 45 Watt at the moment.

I think I could get it lower when not using ESXI and using the GPU offloading. The other VM on my ESXI is a download server, I could probably host that on a RPI as well ...

Best regards,
Deva

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This i have been looking into as well.
I am still doubting a bit between a NVR or blueiris server, since the nvr does seem to use less power then BI server but then again with BI you can do more and supports more cams and in my case my home automation software that works together.
I did setup a BI server at my parents containing:

Lowest 42Watts highest 50 Watts At 230Vac

running 3 camera's at 15 Fps highest resolution 1 x 2Mp 1 x 3Mp 1 x 1Mp
(i have connected 8 hikvision 2032 cams to see how much it would use then, but even with cpu at 100% it won't go further then 57 Watts

specusage.png

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
using killowatt my desktop is using between 45-73watts and my LTS nvr is using 34watts. 34watts is with 4 POE cams on. so desktop is using more without POE cameras

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
night usage with IR on is more though, I am between 40 day 60 night watt with my nvr and 5 poe cams

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes thats correct, the computer i want to build must contain a cpu with -T on the end.
Most of them is the TDP max 35 or 45Watts.
As far i could discover you do get a bit less of cpu power.
Also the PSU that i have here is a very small one, tiny psu i believe its called and for max 100W systems or so.
But since i am not planning to do gaming or anything on it, keep it on BI and HA only its probably enough.

Still nice to see results that some people have to get an idea whats a good plan and whats not.

devastator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was not referring to POE power as well.
Just the amount of watt your BlueIris PC is using for recordings/motion detection. My cams are powered by a POE switch, I have not included that in the power usage.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My rig is not optimized for power savings. It was built for flight simulator back in the day. I just decided to reuse it. that's why the wattage is higher. I can take out few sticks of ram and see if that drops it but I'll leave it for now. Need to decide BI4 vs nvr which one i want to go with first

kboxvegas

n3wb
Reaction score
My BI box sits around ~36W with Intel hardware acceleration enabled, CPU is ~24% with 6 3MP Hik @ 15fps, direct to disc. This works out to be ~$40 per year with my local power monopoly.
This is NOT including the POE switch.
Lenovo TS140 E3-1225 V3 - Intel HD P4600 - Intel C226 chipset - 12GB ECC - WD RE4 7.2K(OS) - HGST 4TB 7.2K

Last edited by a moderator:

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
how many cams is maybe good to say and direct to disc or not , how many fps.
Maybe its good to start a new topic with some "rules" so you can easily compare results.
just an idea ;)