Powerline Ethernet Adapter for POE IP CAM

newfidoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
If I supply the POE camera with Power and connect it to a Working Powerline Adapter Ethernet box, does the ethernet cable coming out of 2nd PLE adapter need to plug into the NVR? Or should it plug into the Router?

I cant see why it cant plug directly into the NVR. But I am not an expert neither!

newfidoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
If I supply the POE camera with Power and connect it to a Working Powerline Adapter Ethernet box, does the ethernet cable coming out of 2nd PLE adapter need to plug into the NVR? Or should it plug into the Router?

I cant see why it cant plug directly into the NVR. I would rather plug it directly to NVR.But I am not an expert neither!

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Plug it into the NVR....the first poweline adapter is simply taking your ethernet signal and converting/modulating the signal to ride on top of the powerline voltage. Then the other paired powerline adapter will recover the signal and convert it back to ethernet standard signal.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never run local inhouse video through the router. You are wasting the router CPU processing.

Last edited:

newfidoguy

n3wb
Reaction score
Plug it into the NVR....the first poweline adapter is simply taking your ethernet signal and converting/modulating the signal to ride on top of the powerline voltage. Then the other paired powerline adapter will recover the signal and convert it back to ethernet standard signal.
I will give that a try, using only the PLE adapters. Then Plug into the NVR.
I have to ask because many online tech tip videos show the PLE adapter as having to connect to the Router and then the Router connects via ethernet to the NVR.

I want to avoid connecting to the router and it sounds hopeful that someone agrees that is possible.
My Camera is Motion Sensing and i have a better chance of that working if i have the direct connection.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This is how I use PowerLineAdapters...

...my BI Server ("NVR") is in the closet of my office and trying to connect it directly to the router on the other side of the house is difficult due to the construction of my house.

Network1.jpg