Pre-Wired to wrong location... jack + patch cable?

psacake

n3wb
Reaction score
So.. recently built a house.. pre-wired to the locations I thought I'd want cameras. Turns out I got one wrong.. I pre-wired to the left of my front door on a covered porch; now that it's all built out, the foot traffic comes from the left, so the cam needs to be on the right.

The spool I left is not long enough to go from left to right.. while not impossible, it would not be easy to re-pull wire to that location.. was thinking of terminating the original pull with a jack, and then a 6 foot ish patch cable to the camera. It's on a covered porch, and will be "protected" further being behind (above?) the soffit.

Anyone see any holes in this plan? It's going to be a Hikvision DS-2CD2135F Dome POE setup.

compudoc

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you are good with extending the existing cable with the 6'ish patch cable from a data integrity perspective, but I would highly suggest outdoor rated (as opposed to the in-wall rated you most likely used) patch cable. UV is tough on the exterior shield/cover of UTP cabling and I have found that I have to replace non-outdoor rated cable every 1-2 years as it will harden and crack apart exposing the twisted pair. Even with the covered porch and soffit protection we will see hardening, cracking, water issues. I guess UV has a way to find exposed weakness even with the cover of the structure (this theory also seems to apply to Mikey one of our installers, with red hair and freckles, it’s like the kid can get a sunburn while working in moonlight ;)

Since its at home I guess you could just plan on replacing the exposed wire each spring or something, kind of like we are told to do with our smoke detectors/batteries? Or a quick search at Amazon you will find outdoor rated Cat 5e/6 patch cables that you can put up and forget about. Here is one for $20 - Amazon.com: RiteAV - 20ft Cat5e Outdoor Waterproof Ethernet Cable Direct Burial (PURE COPPER): Electronics