Price and value of zoom

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems like the new Z5 zoom cameras are a good value, at least in the StarLine lineup. I don't think we have any Z12's yet to see if that trend continues. So far it seems that there is only about a $10 difference to the Z. The PTZ seem to be another matter however. Going from the 4x zoom of the SD29204T-GN to the 12x of the larger SD40212T-HN with the same sensor and camera class, the price nearly doubles.

With the larger image senor sizes (greater than 1/3), the 7mm-35mm Z5 seems about right for most outdoor applications for me at least, although i have not received mine yet. I suspect that license plate usage case will prove that the 4MP Z5 is a better choice than the 2MP Z12 in the future, but only time and @nayr will tell :).

I might like to see a 12mm or 16mm version of IPC-HDW4830EM-AS (25 to 30 deg FOV in 8MP) with low light technology and fixed focus for LPR use in a small form factor vs the varifocal IPC-HDW5830R-Z, which probably suffers at night with LPR. The 8MP starlights seem interesting especially with the newer compression technology keeping the bit stream down and storage space a bit under control (has anyone checked this out yet 2MP vs 8 MP H.265+), with MP their own form of zoom value.

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I picked up the 5231 bullet z5. The 7mm lens Is not good if you have it mounted on your house and are trying to get close coverage of windows doors property etc because the floor field of view is too zoomed/narrow. It's only good if you're trying to get some outward distance 50-100ft or so. I mean that really should be obvious and I knew that before buying. I bought it for LPR and seems great for it. Just want to make sure ppl know that so they don't buy a dozen 7mm Z5's and can't get full coverage of their house. Buy yea I'm impressed especially for the price. I've had foscams amcrests hikvision microseven longse and Dahua. Dahua the best by far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wish the Camera Calculator / Design Software app was a little more intuitive to use.

It was a hugggggeeeeee visual help to me when trying to figure out how the various focal lengths of lens (2.88mm vs 4mm vs 6mm, etc) changed the field of view. Being able to drop a virtual camera on a Google Maps picture of my house and point it around was awesome!

... but I have a feeling most folks look at that tool and just say "forget about it". lol

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wish the Camera Calculator / Design Software app was a little more intuitive to use.

It was a hugggggeeeeee visual help to me when trying to figure out how the various focal lengths of lens (2.88mm vs 4mm vs 6mm, etc) changed the field of view. Being able to drop a virtual camera on a Google Maps picture of my house and point it around was awesome!

... but I have a feeling most folks look at that tool and just say "forget about it". lol
I wish it didn't cost so much to use to add multiple cameras.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
Aristobrat, what problems did you face? Anything specific you'd like to change? I am with IPVM, the company behind the calculator and like to get your feedback.

Btw, we have 100,000+ cameras saved using the Calculator in the past year so it's definitely popular but we certainly want to make it better. Looking forward to your or anyone else's feedback.