Primer for night time settings?

Discussion in 'Dahua' started by JFire, Apr 19, 2017.

Share This Page

1. JFire

JFire Getting the hang of it

I've searched the forums and possibly just missed it. Has anyone ever written a definitive guide for getting the best out of your cams at night? I don't have the patience to tinker but i will if i have to. I know WDR is bad and all. My images are very noisy and i now have ample external light as they switched my streetlight to LED and it's disgustingly bright.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

2. hmjgriffon

hmjgriffon Known around here

TBH most of the settings if you move them off auto will just look shittier, the dahua's especially are awesome at auto setting the best settings. if your night time video sucks, you need external IR or better lighting if you're running in color. Just my opinion.

NoloC likes this.
  3. NoloC

NoloC Pulling my weight

What cams do you have? If there is a lot of light and your images are noisy, either the cams are not sensitive or there is a setting messed up. Maybe shutter speed to fast? With the 5231 Dahua auto is very good, as stated above.

hmjgriffon likes this.
  4. hmjgriffon

hmjgriffon Known around here

I wonder what cam too, cuz if it's one of the good ol 3mp hiks with 1/3" sensor, they look like ass compared to the starlights in low light lol.

essjay and NoloC like this.
  5. essjay

essjay Getting the hang of it

Thanks, I have 6 of the 3MP Hiks with the 1/3 lens......

6. NoloC

NoloC Pulling my weight

I have 6 3MP hiks as well and one Dahua starlight 5231 turret. He speaks the truth, unfortunately.

7. essjay

essjay Getting the hang of it

I don't doubt it - the Hiks look crap at night. Ordering a couple of Starlights this week. A fixed turret and varifocal turret to compare.

NoloC likes this.
  8. fvdwerdt

fvdwerdt n3wb

The 4MP Hik turrets also look like crap at night compared to the Dahua 5231 turret.

9. JFire

I have 2 HDBW-4421-R. I know they won't compare to the starlights. I just want as clear and crisp image as i can get. I'll post SS tonight when it gets dark.

10. JFire

Here's the one camera. I've included with IR and without. As you can see I have a lot of external light. Screenshot (3).png Screenshot (4).png Screenshot (5).png

11. bigredfish

bigredfish Getting comfortable

With that camera given those caps, I'd add a $13 extra IR illuminator and I'll bet your B&W image and clarity will improve a bunch. Doesn't look to me like you have enough white light to attempt to force color at night without losing a lot near the door and the porch is a relatively small area.. Its really not a bad image as-is in B&W

12. JFire

I just wish i could find a solar powered one of those. Im a little confused on how the profiles work. If i have the profile management set to normal can i only tweak that setting? Or will it automatically load the day and night profiles when it switches?

13. NoloC

NoloC Pulling my weight

Day and night profiles are selected by the schedule if you invoke it. It does not have anything to do with the switch to bw or color.
    That occurs based on the ambient light due to the time of day.

So you can set a schedule for "night" that will have different parameters. I screwed with it and "Auto" seems to still be the best.
    Don't bother. IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  14. bigredfish

bigredfish Getting comfortable

Yeah I use the "Schedule" feature on mine which allows me to setup a completely different profile for Day and Night. The schedule determines when the profiles are switched.

I assume because I havent tested it, that in "Normal" mode, the camera will retain just a single profile for both and simply switch to B&W/IR when the sensor tells it to.