Problem with New Ds-7608ni-k2 Nvr and old DS-2CD2132-I ip cams

mg_93

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
i just recently bought a new hikvision DS-7608NI-k2/8p nvr, due to some Problems with my old ds-7608ni-e2/8p.

With the old nvr all of my ip cams were connected without problems using the Poe ports on the nvr. But the new nvr doesn't recognise the cameras at all. No lights on the poe ports on the back of the device are flashing.

I have six hikvision IP cams. 1x DS-2CD3132-I and 5x DS-2CD2132-I, all running V5.2.0 build 140721. The new Nvr is using V3.4.104 and the old one V3.3.0.

I tried setting a strong password on the new NVR and the ip cams, but that didn't worked.

I think there is a problem with the newer NVR firmware and the old ip cam firmware. But i'm a bit concerned updating my ip cams because they are all chinese versions with CCCH serial.

Is there any way i can use the new Nvr with my old cams?

Thanks.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No lights on the poe ports on the back of the device are flashing.
But are there any lights at all? eg the link detect light.
A steady light will at least show that the ethernet is active and the camera is powered.
Do the IR LEDs light when a camera is first connected? That would indicate that PoE power is working.

I have a DS7616NI-K2 and it has worked OK with Chinese cameras, before they were all converted to English and fully updated, but when the NVR was using the older 3.4.98 firmware.

Suggestion, to prove out the camera compatibility, and to remove the possibility that there is a problem with the PoE ports -
Power up a camera connected to the LAN, use SADP to assign it a LAN IP address.
In the NVR web GUI, pick one of the PoE channels, modify it to Manual instead of Plug&Play and set the IP address to match that set on the camera.
If that connects OK, then the problem is associated with the NVR PoE ports.
If not - maybe there is some link between that new NVR firmware (I've not used that version) and China region cameras.
What if anything shows in the NVR log?

The R0 cameras can be converted to English and fully updated with this method : R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

mg_93

n3wb
Reaction score
But are there any lights at all? eg the link detect light.
There were no lights at all at the poe lan ports.

Also the nvr setup process prompted me to set a ip cam activation password. I tried setting the password like the ones i use for the cameras but that didn't worked.

I read somewhere online, that the newer firmwares have stronger security than the older ones and so they are not compatible and you have to upgrade the older ones.

I will try your suggestions tomorrow and otherwise i upgrade one of my cameras and see if this will work.

foggysail

n3wb
Reaction score
Above recommendation for SADP should be the first step. But without flashing ethernet lights on NVR, make sure your cables are good. Heck, I would try plugging the camera right into a router port, see if the port flashes. OH, to do this you need POE

mg_93

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered a poe injector, which should arrive today.

I disconnected the cameras directly from my old nvr where everything runs fine and plugged them into the new one where nothing happens. So cameras and cables are good.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's still possible there is something about the existing cables that the new NVR will not work with, despite them working with the old NVR.
If possible, it would be worth testing with a pre-made cable to see if that changes anything.

foggysail

n3wb
Reaction score
Check your NVR! I have that same unit and there is an option......you will have to look for it... that turns off the POE. It may be set to off.

mg_93

n3wb
Reaction score
so i just checked some things. There is a problem with my cables to the cameras.
i connected one camera directly to the NVR with a short cable and it was working fine with POE. Then i tried to connect the NVR to a POE injector and the POE injector to my original cables which are going to the ip cameras, this was also working fine with POE.

My setup is:
NVR to patch panel with short cat 6 cable.
From the patch panel to the camera with cat 7 cables, lengths up to 30m.
the cat 7 cable then goes into a cat 6 socket and from there with a short cat 6 cable to the cameras.

i'm really not sure where the problem is, because with the poe injector and with the old nvr it is working just fine. Just the new NVR has some problems with the POE connection to the cameras.

I looked up the poe settings in the nvr and short distance POE should be enabled by default (up to 100m). There is only an option for long distance POE (100-300m), even if i turn this option on it's not working.

Any advice?