Problems with Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4831 RTSP

Manorak

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm having some trouble getting an RTSP stream to show correctly in VLC and Blueiris. The camera is the Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4831 8MP turret.

I can view the live feed very smoothly when browsing to the camera (through Dahua web interface), and also through the Smart PSS application, eg there is very little lag when I wave my hand over the camera.

In BlueIris and VLC I'm connecting to the camera through this URL...

rtsp:/user:password@IP/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

In VLC, the live stream has a 2-3 second delay compared to the stream in Dahua web interface, and Smart PSS application. In BlueIris, the stream is both laggy and choppy (not smooth at all).

I first (disappointingly) thought that the 2-3 delay must be normal, but once I got the live stream setup in the camera web interface (and Smart PSS) I realized it actual isn't normal, and it is possible to have very little lag. Are there any parameters I'm missing in the rtsp stream url? Is there any way to extract the URL used by the Smart PSS app? The camera is setup for H264, and default settings, anything I need to change on the camera?

I'd like to get it working correctly in VLC first, and then set it up in Blueiris with the same parameters/settings etc.

Thanks for your help!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm having some trouble getting an RTSP stream to show correctly in VLC and Blueiris. The camera is the Dahua DH-IPC-HDW4831 8MP turret.

I can view the live feed very smoothly when browsing to the camera (through Dahua web interface), and also through the Smart PSS application, eg there is very little lag when I wave my hand over the camera.

In BlueIris and VLC I'm connecting to the camera through this URL...

rtsp:/user:password@IP/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1

In VLC, the live stream has a 2-3 second delay compared to the stream in Dahua web interface, and Smart PSS application. In BlueIris, the stream is both laggy and choppy (not smooth at all).

I first (disappointingly) thought that the 2-3 delay must be normal, but once I got the live stream setup in the camera web interface (and Smart PSS) I realized it actual isn't normal, and it is possible to have very little lag. Are there any parameters I'm missing in the rtsp stream url? Is there any way to extract the URL used by the Smart PSS app? The camera is setup for H264, and default settings, anything I need to change on the camera?

I'd like to get it working correctly in VLC first, and then set it up in Blueiris with the same parameters/settings etc.

Thanks for your help!
  • Insert ":554" after (note the colon before 554)
  • Try subtype=0, not 1.
In other words, try this URL below (note that there's 2 slashes after rstp, the forum software will NOT allow 2 slashes next to each other!):

Code:
rtsp:/user:password@IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
That works for Main Stream in BI v4 and VLC for an Amcrest IP2M-841 (1080p, 2MP). It's a Dahua-rebrand with latest (8/3/19) firmware.

Manorak

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I have tried with the port and changing the sub-stream, but made no difference.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I have tried with the port and changing the sub-stream, but made no difference.
Try running ONVIF Device Manager and the cam's RTSP stream should be revealed in bottom right window when viewing the cam.

If no joy, I'd hard reset the cam, reconfig the IP and start over....maybe a setting in the stream values got skewed or a buffer won't clear.

Manorak

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, will try those.

I've now discovered the choppy feed in BI was due to the 'Settings/Cameras/Video During Remote Desktop' setting. I set it to 'Unrestricted' and now BI has the same 2 second delay as VLC.

Manorak

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting... installed ONVIF Device Manager, and the stream is even more responsive than the Dahua web interface/Smart PSS! It's like it's in real time now.

The url revealed is rtsp:/ip:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif

Tried it in VLC and BI, but still the same lag. There must be some H264 decoding settings that are different for the ONVIF Device Manager?

frip

n3wb
Reaction score
Very much the same issue with Dahua N43AB52 bullet cam.. the web display is close to real time VLC is delayed 2 seconds. Have tried several cameras using both (0) and (1) streams with Ethernet connection.. doesn't matter about the frame rate or bit rate.. on stream (1) we have 704*480, 10 fps, CBR, 256 bit rate h.264. Yes we are currently pinching the through-put because the it will operate over a cell link eventually. Current tests are thru 100M switch hardwired. Mac Book Pro using FireFox and VLC. Doesn't matter if using ONVIF or not. Interested if anyone has a way to reduce the latency. Two seconds is a long time if watching a piece of machinery move someones direction! ;-)

WEB on the left and VLC on the right below.

Attachments

Last edited: