Problems - Computer? Windows? Switch? Blue Iris/software? Network? guidance requested.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently reboot/resetting the dedicated computer. One of my most difficult builds EVER! Seem like if anything cold go wrong...it would beginning with Microsoft trashing (known problem) the creation of the USB ISO, not seeing the formatted SSD despite showing in BIOS, etc. Finally got up an running, corrected/disabled the login password requirement and enabling number lock on keyboard on initial boot, both of which worked in corrected mode about 50% of time. Today, insists on password, wrong message, even the 'correct' password when using Microsoft Live method, giving link to change it. Not that stupid as would impact all other devices, including the computer typing this on. That is why the reset and hoping can address other issues had during the 12 hours where could access the computer.

1) Problem seeing the 3 cameras -
camera 1 - IPC-HDW5231R-Z (Worked fine and remain mounted with switch from NVR, but never seen with Blue Iris or other software, except for an occasional brief glimpse on router.)
camera 2 - IPC-HDW4231EM-AS (new - mounted) sporatic viewing, currently in blank screen denied access.
camera 3 - IPC-HDW4231EM-AS (new - patch cord on desk for troubleshooting before mounting). Consistently works and shows my ceiling - but getting all 3 cameras to work in any application is a problem.

2) Asus router. Intended setup was Dahua PoE switch > PC second NIC port > router, but due to problems with software seeing, for troubleshooting "just to get the cameras working" have direct hard wiring (not wifi) of both the PoE switch and the dedicated computer (plus this and wife's computer) to the router. Despite having 3 cameras attached to the switch (with lights confirming) Asus only showed one 192.168.1.108 address, not three (except the morning saw all three before it updated devices as I unplugged the switch overnight rather than leave exposed to internet) QUESTION: Should the IP address be changed to a different sequence from the default .108 as suggested in the camera manual? I did change camera 2 to .109 and both addresses are seen as connected devices.

3) Windows 10 Pro - What Defender overrides from default should there be as suspect that may be the issue blocking access. I haven't temporarily deactivated Defender yet but was at that point if ever got signed back in. Any other Windows setting should be aware of? I do see in device manger that may need to update driver for Ethernet 2 that the PoE switch is connected to and Windows couldn't auto-find the Intel driver. That may be the issue of why the preferred setup isn't working.

4) Blue Iris - Windows re-set complete and just re-installed Blue Iris - thankfully the registration key worked - with message features blocked by Windows Defender "allow" and thus my question #3 above. Also where I discovered the driver issue as check both NIC connections when would not recognize cameras as I attempted to add as not setup router direct, but via PC. Yesterday would only show one 192.168.1.108 which happened to be camera 2 and the reason I mounted it. Unplugged all camera and decided to do one at a time. Next 192.168.1.108 was camera 3. Never could get camera 1. Later as changed camera 2 to .109, could identify and load a second camera but error message that blocked. Security or port issues?

5) Other software. Direct web ip (google NACL web plugin), Config Tool, and SmartPSS. Config Tool is the most useless as it doesn't even default to Dahua's 192.168.1... in search so no cameras found and the hidden manual override forcing the search parameter wasn't much better. SmartPSS at least found 2 of the cameras - but no internet despite being connected directly to router via PoE switch, so no live view or other features. A regular IP search with the default Edge browser brought the camera signin screen but then the message that had to get the required (google) plug-in. Same if I did with Chrome browser after installing the plugin. Launching plugin directly works fine and how I changed camera 2's IP to end in .109. searching 192.168.1.108 only brings up camera 3, so suspect will have to do a factory reset on camera 1.

HELP!

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both NIC's on the computer are confirmed running/operational - but the visibility problem persists on the switch > PC > router path. Noticed that the IPv4 path wasn't the camera IP but something totally different beginning with 169.254.... and wasn't searching that address. The confusion was when I looked at Device Manager and saw the "!" next to "PCI Simple Communication Controller" with the Intel NIC being the only PCI card in the build. Probably need to go through Gigabyte and update all drivers.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sort of confusing what you've done and such, but in the end do you have the Ip address in each camera set to a unique number?
Everything attached to the network needs a unique IP address, or you will get conflicts.

This: IE Tab works for me in Chrome with Dahua cams.

Disable Defender until you get this figured out. Google will tell you how.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.
I thought the default IP address needed to change, but never saw it addressed when I did a forum search. Since I had the unassigned space was going to start the sequence 109,110,111 etc, keeping 108 open for a 'new camera' to be reassigned. It only makes sense that can't have multiple cameras with the same IP and subnet. Will disable Defender until figured out. Not like there is anything of value on this PC.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What a frustrating day and seems to have gone backwards. Disabled Windows Defender, and for a short time, even the firewall on the router. All cameras are warm, indicating getting power, and the two IP's show as connected devices on the router, but no software will return a picture when loading a camera, citing some error...if can even find the IP for web login. Even with the PoE switch connected directly to the router, SmartPSS perhaps summarizes best when both identified devices are loaded, the Internet column says "Not Connected". With all the firewalls down and the direct connection rather than through the PC, I am really at a loss. Any suggestions? I obviously have internet or I couldn't post this.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you do not have a BASIC understanding of how to use TCP/IP you will never figure out what you are doing wrong.

Each and EVERY device on the network HAS to have a different address, and in order for them to communicate, they need to be on the same number ranges.

Typical home networks use 192.168.n.n or 10.n.n.n.

In simple terms

Router 192.168.1.1
BI PC 192.168.1.2
Camera 1 192.168.1.101
Camera 2 192.168.1.102
Camera 3 192.168.1.103

The POE switch should not have an address (unless you have an expensive managed one?) and it's secondary function is to supply power to the device through the ethernet cable

So plug the switch into the router, the PC and cameras into the switch (one by one for the cameras so if you need to you can change the IP of that device to be unique)

The vast majority of what you have described has nothing to do with the issues you are having, defender and firewall settings 'should' not have any bearing, unless you have mangled them unknowingly.

bguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What Silas said. If you don't understand IPs, you're already lost. So I hope you understand at least the basics.

An IP starting with 169 is Windows way of saying it couldn't get an IP via DHCP.

You need to go step by step from the simplest network and make sure things are working. If you just connect half a dozen things and nothing it working, it's too much to check. Start with PC connected to router. Does it get an IP and get to the Internet? Add the PoE switch between the 2, still working? Add a camera to the PoE switch, can you ping it? Can you get to it's web interface? Can BI see it?

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, I do have a slightly greater than basic understanding of networks as I have been involved with computers since early DOS days...but I am not an engineer. Below is a screen print of the Asus router which identifies the IP address of everything connected. You will see that there are 4 wired connections directly to the router, this computer, SecCam (dedicated BI PC), and 2 Dahua cameras (still need to reset the other one, but have 192.168.1.108 free as reassigned others). My apologies for the quality of the other photos as no way transfer screenshot clipboard from SecCam to Larry-PC where Photoshop is as don't even have Word installed to paste clipboard/save docx/transfer. While I do have SmartPSS installed on both machines, it doesn't like the 4K monitor for a readable size font, so just took a photo. Notice how it recognized both devices are shown as "off line" in red, and not photo'd, Live View is black. Blue Iris only on SecCam PC due to licensing restrictions and would have to use SmartPSS on all other 'remote' PC/Mac machines (haven't downloaded the app for IOS yet). The first BI photo is as was last night as loads last setting. Only thing different is that I shut down everything, unplugging modem, router and switches and after 5 minutes restarted modem and router. This AM restarted both computers and both switches individually. After SmartPSS showing offline and (not pictured) Config Tool failing to find any cameras, was pleasantly surprised when BI not only found them (as it did last night) but loaded from the database (maintained 'generic' last night) and actually brought in the photos (ceiling from one sitting on desk). Also, confirmed using a Web tool - good - found cameras, displayed video, correct network data, ping - no packets lost; - the bad - one feature showed off line but don't know if that was referring to the QR Code feature or the camera.

While finally got the video, both BI and the web browser may have been internally reading from LAN while the others noted offline. Be that as it may, unhooked the PoE switch from direct to router as was for all of the above, and connected to the second NIC in SecCam PC which is the way want set up. Windows showed both networks operational. Ethernet 1 (Realtek controller) connected to the default gateway of the router's IP address, while Ethernet 2 (Intel controller) unknown network not connected to the internet - which is as it should be as a security barrier for the cameras in this setup. The problem is, NOTHING will find the cameras. Is there a particular setting or path in BI that I need to direct it?

In a way it was a relief that got the video as was beginning to wonder if something in the switch had blown, and could still be what is blocking full internet. When I first plugged it in, got a startling flash, so don't know if some short surge took something out.

Attachments

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Listen to what @bguy said. Simple and step by step. Did you configure the second nic as a static IP? I would guess not if you are getting a 169.x.x.x on that interface. Open the command prompt and type ipconfig /all. What do you see for the ip's of the nics?

Also disconnect all the other shit from first nic and just get the second nic to see a single cam via web browser. Everything on that nic must be static as there is no dhcp server. Once you see a cam move to the next. Then assign IPs in BI and look at cam there. Forget SmartPSS for now. Then report back.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Amazing how people who ASK for help get upset when challenged over knowledge (clearly lacking) and bang on about high levels of understanding !!!

I find you post VERY hard to read, trying to sort out the issues from the dross makes it difficult, however, the first issue is possibly that the pc running BI? is using DHCP.

Try and follow the advice given, step by step, no adding other crap in to confuse the issue

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The OP is trying to isolate his cams by using a second nic on the BI machine. And it is hard to make sense out of the descriptions but I think the static ip addresses might be one of the problems. Really would be helpful to see the result of ipconfig /all at the command prompt on that BI PC.

Don't be afraid OP, we are a rough bunch here but we mean well! :slap:

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NoloC, thanks. Yes, it is a rough bunch that means well which have notice in this and other posts and at times wonder if constructive as the put down drives the OP to become defensive to "correct" the impression which the becomes the target of further putdowns. We are all on a learning path which technically doesn't stop until we are 6 feet under, but even that could be a learning experience - I am just not going to volunteer to find out. I will be deferring resolving issue until at least the weekend due to competing work constraints - not reaction to existing replies so don't misinterpret lack of posts as abandoning. If I were to characterized myself, it would be an avid DIYer in many areas who doesn't know it all, soaks information up like a sponge (the lifetime learning process), and can talk intelligently. My challenge though, as each brings a level of expertise - including myself - to the forum, use that expertise to write primers on milestone events. Nayr's "VPN Primer for Noobs" is an EXCELLENT example of approaching of approaching a milestone learning event on two subjects - vpn as well as port forwarding - in a constructive way that is somewhat comprehensive (yes, I have established and used a vpn as a result of that post). Dual NICs and closely related VLAN are another milestone events ripe for a similar Primer, as most people have only worked with home networks on the single NIC environment where DHCP was sufficient.

While I am not going to post the screenshot of ipconfig, yes you were right, they were not static. While I know how in Windows...the issue was just not brought to consciousness, but will resolved. The only question I have now is if the camera IP should be further changed to reflect the IP path for the second NIC, or maintain the current IP address which is based off the primary? A forum search for "dual Nics" brings up quite a few hits, most on why to use it...but not how and it becomes hodgepodge. Actually, in my search the best I found on the subject was Best Practices for Using Multiple Network Interfaces (NICs) with NI Products - National Instruments (Part 3 Senarios, Case 1). Explains reasons nicely, but if someone could make something similar that is camera specific, and both NVR and BI based, it would be phenomenal. Earlier I noted "myself included" and through this experience have identified an area where I can contribute. As a professional photographer I can do marketing level photos (lightbox, macro lens) of the internal circuit boards for re-set button locations on the 2 Starlight models I own. While I have only opened the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS thus far will re-open for pics before mounting as I also reset the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. The Dahua Wiki fails to picture the turret models, and despite my having built circuit boards in the past, that well hidden unlabeled button was a bear to find - used a flashlight examining soder points of each component to determine if was a button.

I know I tend to ramble, but a quick analogy using using another subject - bicycling. We were all noobs at one point and eventually progressed from training wheels - and are proud of accomplishments since then. Putting people down ignores what people have learned and relegates them back to training wheels. I personally have progressed where I consider a 40 mile bike ride (aggressive pace but not race) "relaxing". No I am not ready, and have no aspirations, for Toure de France, or the more realistic amateur based Paris-Brest-Paris, as 1200km (800 mile) 90 hour limit ride (not race). Much like this forum, there were learning event - wear lycra to avoid chaffing in areas you don't want to be chaffed, hydration, and even transitioning from the platform pedal to the misnamed "clipless" pedal that you clip into. Toppling over when failing to unclip at a stop isn't met with newbe criticism, but more, welcome to the club as it is a rite of passage virtually everyone goes through. It is a constructive approach which is what I was advocating above for the various learning events that are normal within the security camera environment. Think about it.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
While I am not going to post the screenshot of ipconfig, yes you were right, they were not static.
So I have removed all but the relevant part of your post for the TL;DR version. Set static ip's and avoid conflicts. If you don't change the subnet on the second nic, be sure to use addresses that will not be assigned in the dhcp range of the ASUS. And don't enter a gateway on the second nic devices.

Good luck!

Now where did I leave those training wheels...

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, confirming both NICS set to static with different subnets. One of the attachments below confirms. Other attachments are attempts to load cameras with both BI and Webservice. Quick summary...all attempts, in various variations, through the PC NIC as confirmed set up by ipconfig were unsuccessful. All attempts with switch direct to router were successful, confirming cameras actually worked. NOTE: While this is a dedicated computer, had available license for Office, so all are uncropped screenprints to Word, added narrative describing details of the specific screenprint, and saved as a pdf.

What next to resolve the switch to PC issue?

Attachments

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That would be expected as the nic is on a different subnet than the camera.
192.168.0.xxx will not talk to 192.168.1.xxx
Basic networking stuff. You'll need to change the cam ip to the same subnet or the nic.

I recall a post some time back that linked to videos on tcp/ip and basic networking. Would be helpful for you. I'll dig around or maybe someone will post.

Tizeye

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"You'll need to change the cam ip to the same subnet or the nic."

Before I do it would that be changing BOTH the camera IP (replacing the "1" with a "0") AND the subnet mask (replacing the 3rd "255" with "0"), OR change subnet mask only, retaining the original (adjusted from factory default) IP?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
no don't mess with the subnet mask. Just change the 1 to a 0 on the camera and see what you get.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't look carefully. Subnet mask needs to be 255.255.255.0 on both nics