Problems configuring stunnel

RChadwick

n3wb
Reaction score
I figured out how to configure stunnel to work with an IP camera, so I figured I'd share in the hopes it saves someone some time:

[IP-Cam-Port-18555]
accept = IP ADDRESS OF MACHINE:18555
connect = IP ADDRESS OF CAMERA:18555
cert = C:\Program Files\stunnel\config\stunnel.pem
CAfile = C:\Program Files\stunnel\config\ca-certs.pem

Notes:
Pick what ports you need
Do not enable client = yes. I saw this in the BI config, suppose it's needed in that case for some reason.
You can't use 127.0.0.1 for the IP address of the machine stunnel is running on. You need to use the actual IP (Why? Workaround?)

Disclaimer: Until an hour ago, I didn't know what I was doing. This works for me.

Last edited:

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I figured out how to configure stunnel to work with an IP camera, so I figured I'd share in the hopes it saves someone some time:

[IP-Cam-Port-18555]
accept = IP ADDRESS OF MACHINE:18555
connect = IP ADDRESS OF CAMERA:18555
cert = C:\Program Files\stunnel\config\stunnel.pem
CAfile = C:\Program Files\stunnel\config\ca-certs.pem

Notes:
Pick what ports you need
Do not enable client = yes. I saw this in the BI config, suppose it's needed in that case for some reason.
You can't use 127.0.0.1 for the IP address of the machine stunnel is running on. You need to use the actual IP (Why? Workaround?)

Disclaimer: Until an hour ago, I didn't know what I was doing. This works for me.
Why are you using this and not a VPN? Read forum for VPN setup

RChadwick

n3wb
Reaction score
I already have a VPN, but would never consider using it for this. Too slow and cumbersome, and I don't see any benefits. Just my perspective. Your needs might be different.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I already have a VPN, but would never consider using it for this. Too slow and cumbersome, and I don't see any benefits. Just my perspective. Your needs might be different.
I think your thinking of the wrong type of VPN the type that hides your IP adderss. There are many different types of VPN’s ... never had slow down a On lan vpn

RChadwick

n3wb
Reaction score
Although I use my VPN sometimes with public Wifi, I mainly use it to remote desktop to computers on my LAN. It's a real VPN to my home LAN, not some VPN service. I mainly access my IP cameras on my phone, which doesn't always have a good internet connection. Having the already-encrypted connection ALSO go through a VPN can, and sometimes does, make the connection slower, or non-working. Also, why encrypt what's already encrypted? Add in the inconvenience of having to start up the VPN separately, and wait for it to be ready, just so I can quickly see my back yard, and it's a no-brainer for me.
Again, for your wants and needs, a VPN might make perfect sense for you. Not for me.