Problems setting up Asus RT-AC86U

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
After reading all the advice here, I just bought a new Asus rt-ac86u router to make life easier setting up a vpn to view BI remotely, but having problems setting the router up.

I'm trying to put it behind my AT&T Pace 5268ac modem/router combo and set the Pace router to DMZ plus mode so it passes everything through to the ASUS. However, in the option menu for firewall,pinholes,dmz in the pace router, it asks what "computer" I want to forward everything through to. I don't see the Asus listed, but I see several clients listed as "unknown" with random numbers after. Does anyone know what this Asus router might be listed as, or has anyone been down this road with an AT&T router?

I have a LAN port of the pace router going into the WAN port of the asus, and a cpu plugged into the LAN port of the Asus. I can get into the pace settings this way via 172.16.0.1, and have changed the Asus to accept dynamic IP.

Lost from here, any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
After reading all the advice here, I just bought a new Asus rt-ac86u router to make life easier setting up a vpn to view BI remotely, but having problems setting the router up.

I'm trying to put it behind my AT&T Pace 5268ac modem/router combo and set the Pace router to DMZ plus mode so it passes everything through to the ASUS. However, in the option menu for firewall,pinholes,dmz in the pace router, it asks what "computer" I want to forward everything through to. I don't see the Asus listed, but I see several clients listed as "unknown" with random numbers after. Does anyone know what this Asus router might be listed as, or has anyone been down this road with an AT&T router?

I have a LAN port of the pace router going into the WAN port of the asus, and a cpu plugged into the LAN port of the Asus. I can get into the pace settings this way via 172.16.0.1, and have changed the Asus to accept dynamic IP.

Lost from here, any ideas? Thanks.
The best way to handle this, if possible, is to use the Pace as a modem only running in Bridge mode. This will bypass all other functions like the router. With the Asus, it will do everything the Pace did in the past.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The best way to handle this, if possible, is to use the Pace as a modem only running in Bridge mode. This will bypass all other functions like the router. With the Asus, it will do everything the Pace did in the past.
Thanks for the video. Couple things different than what I tried. It shows unknown on his pace also, but it looks like he disconnected everything off it except the new router, so it should be the only one listed hopefully. I will try tonight, thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. Couple things different than what I tried. It shows unknown on his pace also, but it looks like he disconnected everything off it except the new router, so it should be the only one listed hopefully. I will try tonight, thanks again.
Yes, everything will be disconnected from the Pace, and reconnected to the Asus. It's because bridge mode only allows 1 connection, so DHCP/Reserved IP's have to come from the Asus, not the Pace. You obviously will need to set everything up from scratch on the Asus.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've located the Asus router by having everything else disconnected, but when I go select it in dmz mode, it says "The selected device has a static IP address. DMZplus requires that the selected device use DCHP to obtain its IP address"

I set the router to auto obtain IP, enable WAN, enable NAT in basic config. Is there something else that needs to be changed?