Processor question for Blue Iris

Reaction score
I've been looking for a PC to run as a dedicated BI server. I have 2 options. I have a neighbor who has a computer he wants to sell. It has a Pentium G4560 in it. Is this processor any good for BI? I have 3 camera's at 1080p and no plans to expand on that anytime soon.

Here's my other option that I found on Newegg.

Refurbished: DELL Desktop Computer OptiPlex 7010 Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3470 (3.20 GHz) 8 GB 250 GB HDD Windows 10 Pro - Newegg.com

What do you guys think? I looked on Intel's website and the 4560 does have hyper threading and quick sync. So I would think for 3 cameras it should be more than good enough.

Other question is on hard drives. I know everyone recommends using a Western Digital purple for BI to record to. Can I have my OS on that hard drive as well or do I need a separate one for that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a PC to run as a dedicated BI server. I have 2 options. I have a neighbor who has a computer he wants to sell. It has a Pentium G4560 in it. Is this processor any good for BI? I have 3 camera's at 1080p and no plans to expand on that anytime soon.

Here's my other option that I found on Newegg.

Refurbished: DELL Desktop Computer OptiPlex 7010 Intel Core i5 3rd Gen 3470 (3.20 GHz) 8 GB 250 GB HDD Windows 10 Pro - Newegg.com

What do you guys think? I looked on Intel's website and the 4560 does have hyper threading and quick sync. So I would think for 3 cameras it should be more than good enough.

Other question is on hard drives. I know everyone recommends using a Western Digital purple for BI to record to. Can I have my OS on that hard drive as well or do I need a separate one for that?
The g4560 will be fine but dont over pay for it...how much is it being sold for? Do you know why he is selling a system that has a brand new processor? Does the case have room for additional drives. SSD for the OS and BI makes for a very snappy experience.
That newegg system is WAY overpriced and has no room for an extra drive...you need to squeeze an ssd in.

Reaction score
It's just how he is. He's very fickle. He built it, then decided he didn't like it so now he's selling it. I told him to just upgrade it but he just wants to start his build over from scratch. He wants 250 for the whole system. Pentium G4560, 8 gig of RAM. 500 gig hard drive. Nothing special. That's why I was asking about the Western Digital purple. I assume that I'll want to put one in this system for recordings and didn't know if I could run the whole system from that drive or how I should set it up. This computer will only be used for BI. I plan to have 2 of the camera's recording 24/7 at 15 fps.