Production Blue Iris Setup with Specs

soundguy06

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been reading this forum for years and recently got around to mostly finishing my Blue Iris build and Camera installs. The system runs great even with all the MP I am pushing. I hope this helps someone as I have had issues finding hard facts on a larger system.

CPU (i7 Specs) sits around 30%-40%
I utilize about 200mbps-300mbps on my 1Gb LAN.
Power Utilization: Max 119watts on the cameras (nighttime mode). Server 100watts average. This equates to about $14 on my power bill each month ($.09 a Kilowatt).

Here is the breakdown.

Blue Iris Server:
Lenovo TS140
Intel Xeon 1246v3 (Intel Graphics and Hyper Threading)
16GB ECC Ram (ECC not needed) (Allows for maxium Pre-Trigger on all Cameras)
1X Samsung 850 Pro 128GB for Boot and Databases
4X 2TB Western Digital Black in RAID 0 (7.5TB Usable)
Windows 10 Pro

Cameras:
Hikvision
1X DS-2CD2542FWD-IS (POE, 15FPS, 4MP Resolution, Audio On)
1X DS-2CD2532F-IS (POE, 15FPS, 3MP Resolution, Audio On)
1X DS-2CD2642FWD-IZS (POE, 15FPS, 4MP Resolution)
7X DS-2CD2342WD-I (POE, 15FPS, 4MP Resolution)
6X DX-2CD2332-I (POE, 15FPS, 3MP Resolution)

Amcrest
IP2M-846EB (POE, 15FPS, 2MP (1080) Resolution)

POE Injectors:
3X Wifi Texas WS-POE-8-48v60w

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
about 40w of that power consumption is coming from the black drives..

soundguy06

n3wb
Reaction score
about 40w of that power consumption is coming from the black drives..
Yeah, I know. The Western Digital Black drives were pre-existing from another system I had. They are also super reliable and as close as you can get to enterprise without the price tag. If I had to buy new I would suggest the RED Drives, Deskstar NAS, or Seagate NAS hard drives. This was more for an overview of what I have that runs a larger system. Of course changes could be made.

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
From where did you get Hikvision cameras? Why did you chose them instead of the Dahua ones popular in this forum?

soundguy06

n3wb
Reaction score
From where did you get Hikvision cameras? Why did you chose them instead of the Dahua ones popular in this forum?
I got them from a seller on Ali Express. I found a seller that sells 100% US cameras so I can fully update, etc. I decided on the Hikvision based on review, friend recommendations, and configuration. I like that I can put the camera name, time and date on the camera stream so that I can set direct to disk with blue iris. I also like that the on screen font will change colors based on the contrast. They have been rock solid and I have deployed close to 40 of them between different setups for friends, family, etc. Only one has ever died and that was after a direct lightning strike.

Edit: I mainly use the Hikvision Turret, which I LOVE because the IR is very even spread where I have seen with bullet cams that there is always a bright spot in the middle of the video.

Last edited:

TIM0089

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Could you please let me know who the seller is on aliexpress? I would like to try some Hikvision Turrets too.

soundguy06

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you. Could you please let me know who the seller is on aliexpress? I would like to try some Hikvision Turrets too.
The last seller that I used and had great service from is China Security Wholesale. They have both cracked firmware versions and original English versions available. The English versions I bought came in the full English box and everything was legit. They also negotiate if you want to buy more than A couple.