Profiles & Schedules

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the past several months I have been going back and forth in an effort to understand Blue Iris Profiles and Schedules. For me it is overly complicated and seriously confusing - I may be over thinking it but the end result for me each time is 'it makes no sense."

I have read the Help section dozens of times, I have watched numerous other videos and help posts, I have played around with it on another system only to really mess it all up each time - I just can't get it.

I only have 6 cameras at the moment and 4 are motion detected 24hrs a day while the other 2 are continuous recording. I don't want to change that at all.
I have one camera in the mix that is watching a specific hallway and door - this camera I have set up to send me a text message alert. What I want to achieve is a schedule that will not send me text alerts during a specific time frame (while I am here in the building, for example).

Anyone care to take the time and try to explain how to do this? Maybe something will 'click' for me and I will understand the whole profiles and schedule thing better in the end.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is easy to do...
Forget about multiple schedules/presets...are you need is TWO profiles...setup a second profile and change settings to match the first profile EXACTLY except disable alerts..now set the schedule to change to the new profile at times you dont want an alert...
If as I understand it you only want to change alerts for a single camera, do the above but in the cameras own schedule (override global) but either way will work.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. I think this is starting to 'click' for me.

I set the cam to override global and within the cameras own schedule I set profile one for the hours I want a text and profile 2 for the hours I don't. Now I notice that the camera window shows me which profile it is on. I also just realized that under Alerts if I select the different profile it shows me what is going on there - sms is not checked for profile 2, for example.

There was just motion on one of the cameras and I didn't get a text so it must be set up right.

No doubt I am over thinking and making this seem more complicated than it actually is.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok. I think this is starting to 'click' for me.

I set the cam to override global and within the cameras own schedule I set profile one for the hours I want a text and profile 2 for the hours I don't. Now I notice that the camera window shows me which profile it is on. I also just realized that under Alerts if I select the different profile it shows me what is going on there - sms is not checked for profile 2, for example.

There was just motion on one of the cameras and I didn't get a text so it must be set up right.

No doubt I am over thinking and making this seem more complicated than it actually is.

Thanks!
yes simply understand that there are distinct alert, record, motion etc settings for each profile..so when you setup a new one, you need to copy the old settings for those functions over..

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Another way to look at it.

Profiles are a set of instructions for each camera. You can have up to 7 different sets of instructions (profiles). Schedule (sometimes called Presets) only selects which profile is in affect during the times of day selected.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Another way to look at it.

Profiles are a set of instructions for each camera. You can have up to 7 different sets of instructions (profiles). Schedule (sometimes called Presets) only selects which profile is in affect during the times of day selected.
That is correct...note there is an eighth profile - inactive...