proposed Hardware setup and poe switch recommendations

Tirglas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Plan is to initially run 2 hikvision (eventually x4) or similar 4mp dome/bullet cameras using blue iris software, running on windows 10 VM on my unraid server.

the server has 16gb of ram and an i5 4460 processor and everything is on a gigabit network, i plan to install a 4tb wd purple to act as a dedicated drive for the video feeds. on paper does the hardware look up to the job?

also can anyone recommend a poe switch with 4 usable poe ports?

any other advice about what components (cables etc) to use very welcome:)

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Tirglas,
how'd you arrive at 4mp cams?
Check reviews here (complete with side by side pics) comparing a 2mp Starlight to 4mp cam.
Nighttime performance is dramatically different.
Do a google search using this as the search term: starlight, review, site:ipcamtalk.com

Fastb

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are a lot of switches but I've found that the folk on this forum like the company BV-Tech. Since you are talking about a gigabit network maybe you want this BV-Tech POE-SW501G | 4 Port 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch with 1 Gigabit Uplink Port – 65W – 802.3at. However, note that apparently all IP cameras are only rated at 10/100 Mbps and so a gigabit switch is wasted on IP cams. So unless you have very specific needs for a gigabit PoE switch (such as a PoE gigabit wireless access point) I would encourage you to go for something like this Amazon.com : BV-Tech POE-SW881 | 8 Port 10/100Mbps PoE+ Unmanaged Switch with 1 Gigabit Ethernet Uplink (1000Mbps) - Dipswitches - 120W - 802.3af/at : Camera & Photo. You may or may not need a gigabit uplink, PoE+ (in liu of PoE), dip switches vs automatic PoE detection.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.