Prowlers can be easily startled

vulpes

n3wb
Reaction score

Edit: My sources have told me that the canine unit caught the guy. Hopefully, he won't come around again. A camera win!

I had just finished tinkering with a Raspberry Pi, and was contemplating going to bed, when the motion alert for the driveway vent off. It had gone off earlier that evening due to a bug crawling over the sensor, but this time there was someone running past on the clip. I took a good look on the other cameras to see if he had gone around the house, before I took my trusted flashlight to check the back garden, towards the neighbours. Nothing.

Then I called the police, and they sent a canine unit they had in the area. The dog caught a scent of something over the back fence, and the handler followed. That's the last I heard from them, and I don't know if the search turned anything up. A big thank you to local law enforcement, that sent a unit for something that small.

Funnily enough, an alarm sales rep had come to the door earlier that evening, when nobody was home. I'm sure it's just a coincidence. The local Labour party was here too, and they left roses on the door mat. Good thing I got home to remove them, because nothing says nobody's home like things left overnight at the front door.

I'm not particularly proud of the quality of the images. The outer cam has its exposure adjusted for lights that are no longer there, but are "coming back soon". I've just been too lazy to do anything about it. The door cam is "ok" as long as people aren't running. It's in day mode so you can see the color of clothing.

The motion sensor on that scared him off, was bought at a car dealership for the equivalent of $3.50. It's the best $3.50 I've ever spent.

Officer dog:

Last edited: